Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Worst Virus I've Seen

by MCBarin / November 1, 2009 6:33 AM PST

So right now I'm accessing the internet via Safe Mode with Networking, because whatever virus I have does not allow my browsers to operate when operating Windows Vista normally.

On top of that, any Anti-Virus, Mal-Ware Checker, etc that even comes close to scanning it...it closes the program and removes my permissions from it. I have to reapply permissions to open the program again.

So far Avast, IOBit, AVG, SpyBot S&D, HijackThis, and HouseCall have all been shut down by this and I am at my wits end.

I run Windows Vista with the latest updates.

Also, I am currently deployed to Iraq so I don't have the option of taking it to get looked at professionally or the luxury of large amounts of bandwidth, does anyone have a solution or an idea what virus this may be and how to remove it?

Thanks,
Mike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Worst Virus I've Seen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Worst Virus I've Seen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need to find a friend who knows computers
by Porch-a-Geese / November 1, 2009 7:25 AM PST
In reply to: Worst Virus I've Seen

and who is familiar with using Linux to remove unwanted files.
Using Windows- a system known for insecurity- in a place known for hackers is not a wise decision.
Whether or not you like my following advice does not matter, install NetBSD or a Linux distribution onto that computer.
You will not have viruses and you will avoid rootkits if your system is properly setup. You will also have security and privacy.

Collapse -
Worst Virus I've seen
by stormsniper / November 1, 2009 8:37 AM PST

Might I suggest that first of all u try to install Microsoft Security essentials on your windows I think this software is much better than other software u listed. Second, try to run your windows under Safe mode without network and scan your PC to remove those worm or virus or spyware. You need to do in full scan. if those method won't help try to use Restore point to reset it to the previous use which u haven't got virus.

Collapse -
Absolutely unbelievable...
by Aronaldoa / November 1, 2009 11:12 AM PST

You have the exact same problem I have. EXACT. I'm not running Vista, but the problems are exactly as you say. I too have told others I'm at my wit's end. Posted a thread seeking help yesterday, just before you. I only got one response that referred me to a much older thread, but it doesn't seem to be helpful as I've already tried the same software suggested, and that discussion never finished or seemed to help anyone.

Someone did just mention that Microsoft security essentials, but I'm doubting if that'd work, as you know everything you've tried gets shut out the second you initiate scanning and there's no re-opening it. All I can tell you right now is that I'm going to attempt a restore the day after tomorrow, and if that fails, having yet found something that can go over this vicious thing's head, I'm going to reformat and reinstall. Can I ask how you're using your browsers in the meantime? I don't remember if I could use my browsers in safe mode, but how do you run safe mode with network?

Collapse -
I have a few ideas
by MCBarin / November 1, 2009 3:15 PM PST

I was able to isolate it with a boot time scan (via Avast). I prevented Avast from running a Memory Test when it started so that I could get the program up and get a boot time scan started. Right now the file can't be moved, so I'm going to attempt to delete it.

It's cnq4***.dll (the stars being other characters, that I can't remember at this moment) and it runs with other .dll's in your process list hidden. Hopefully Avast will be able to delete it.

As for the person who offered me the advice of just switching to Linux, did you not read the part where I said I'm deployed? I don't have access to a lot of bandwidth, I'm alloted 5Gb of total download a month (this includes information from browsing, messengers, etc...). I need a way to get rid of this virus, not a new operating system that I'm unfamiliar with.

Collapse -
Doh...
by MCBarin / November 1, 2009 3:21 PM PST
In reply to: I have a few ideas

And I had to shut down my computer in a very bad way to access safe mode (in vista prior to starting windows after a bad shutdown, the computer gives you the option of starting in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, and Safe Mode with Command Prompt).

Also the virus shuts down the anti-virus programs by changing my permissions on the .exe that is running, I have to manually reapply them (this is whether I have networking or not)

Collapse -
Spybot in Boot Mode
by FixItRepair / November 1, 2009 5:28 PM PST
In reply to: Doh...

I see that you have tried running Spybot Search and Destroy with no luck, I am sorry to hear about your problems!

If I may suggest you running Spybot's version of "boot time scanning" you may have more success, you can find it if you look closely under the advanced options:

-Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings > look for "System start" (located half way down the page).
-Check the option: "Automatically run program at system startup".
-Plus any other desired options under "System start"

Goodluck!

Collapse -
Thanks
by MCBarin / November 1, 2009 5:51 PM PST
In reply to: Spybot in Boot Mode

For those of you that offered advice, thank you. I was able to successfully remove the virus from cngaudit.dll my computer is now clean and safe once again.

I would have run Spybot with boot time scan, but it kept disabling my permissions for Spybot, Avast was the only one that got through and was able to perform a boot time scan and clean the file.

Collapse -
Way to go
by Aronaldoa / November 2, 2009 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Interesting, Avast huh? I guess I'll have to try introducing it via flash drive before I do something more drastic. I hope I can work around it in the same way, I don't even know how to manually reapply permissions. In any case, glad it worked out for you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!