Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

worm.lover.a found on my pc ie7 not working

by its_phil2008 / August 9, 2008 10:16 PM PDT

I did a daily scan using AVG anti-spyware and this worm was found, I am unable to find any info on this. The worm was put in quarantine and has now been deleted. It was found in winsxs.

I restarted my pc as I was told to do after the scan, when I clicked on the ie7 logo I was told that 'iexplore' that the shortcut it refers to has been removed or deleted and when I click on the icon on the start menu it says "application not found".

I'm doing another scan now and my pc seems clean, but maybe components of IE7 have been deleted...

can anyone help, I'm using Vista btw.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: worm.lover.a found on my pc ie7 not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: worm.lover.a found on my pc ie7 not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same Issue
by raedhashweh / August 9, 2008 11:38 PM PDT

Dear its_phil2008

I am having the same worm found by AVG anti spy ... even after removing it , it keeps reappearing and it's spreading quickly through my network ... IE is not working because of it ...

Please let me know if you find a solution ...

I'm using windows XP

Collapse -
Dear its_phil2008 and raedhashweh
by slunk64518 / August 9, 2008 11:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Same Issue

I just got a call from my dad who is also using AVG and he's using WinXP and has just got the same issue with this worm.lover.a
I am in the IT field and did a scan and keeps coming up when Avg says it quarantined it.
I'm thinking of using something better than AVG to remove it.
I on the other hand am using Webroot Spyware and Win2K and havent had a problem with worm.lover.a

Collapse -
worm.lover
by jimmyc666 / August 9, 2008 11:45 PM PDT

hi i too had this worm on my pc today avg antivirus found it and asked to remove as recomended which i did shut down and rebooted i found also i.e would not open but the files are still there i seems this worm attatches to the .exe for ie and when you remove it it removes iexplore.exe aswell i had to download a new copy of ie7 and reinstall and everything seems fine now (i hope) this worm is a self replicating worm that attaches itself to all e-mail contacts through security loop holes so make sure all you security is up todate hope this helps you a little and good luck

Collapse -
by its_phil2008 / August 9, 2008 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: worm.lover

I've scanned again and my system looks clean cant see any signs that it has spread, just downloading vista service pack 1.

are you guys using vista as well? I'm not sure if it's possible to re-install using IE7 using vista?

Collapse -
You are NOT alone...... False Positive??
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 10, 2008 1:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
Confirmed: FALSE POSITIVE !
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 10, 2008 1:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
excuse my cluelessness, but....
by jwarndt / August 10, 2008 8:31 AM PDT

...how can a false positive ERASE internet explorer off of my PC? There's not a trace of it left! And that's after I downloaded and installed it a second time! The instant I used it, I got the same malware warning from avg about worm.lover.a, and ie was GONE. Fortunately I had firefox.
This baffles me.

Collapse -
how can a false positive ERASE internet explorer off of my .
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 10, 2008 8:46 AM PDT

PC......

AVG concluded it WAS a False Positive and updated their database. Seems to me, you didn't have the updated signature file and that's why "ie was gone". Normally AVG puts "detections" in their quarantine (vault). Did you have a look IF it's there?

Collapse -
do you mean...
by jwarndt / August 10, 2008 11:15 AM PDT

...did I look to see IF ie was there, or IF "worm.lover.a" was there?

If you meant worm.lover.a, yes there are 4 (four) citations of it in the quarantine vault, all of them for today, three of them for each time I installed ie7, only to have it disappear in the blink of an eye and one for the first inkling I had that something was wrong when I turned my computer on this morning.

And I can't find ie.exe anywhere. It has disappeared. The shortcut on my desktop goes nowhere and I've scrounged around in windows explorer, to no avail.

I've contacted avg tech support (I have a paid accont) but I'm not holding my breath that they'll do anything about it.

Perhaps you can help me with this: the form that I had to fill out at avg support referred to a HELP menu, yet I cannot find one on the window that pops up when I launch avg antispyware 7.5. What am I doing wrong?

Collapse -
I meant ......... to have a look in your AVG vault........
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 10, 2008 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: do you mean...

you can RESTORE what AVG found as "worm.lover.a" in your vault, as it is a False Positive, meaning, there is NOTHING wrong with the files identified as "worm.lover.a".

Collapse -
ok, it's fixed now...
by jwarndt / August 10, 2008 12:24 PM PDT

...just in time for me to cancel a home vi$it by a pc fixer guy. Thank you!

It seems that avg sequestered ie not 4 but 5 times in the vault. That's how many times it was listed there. Ya' learn somehing new every day, I guess...

Collapse -
Super - great job :)
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 10, 2008 2:56 PM PDT
In reply to: ok, it's fixed now...

Yes, you learn something new every day Happy

Collapse -
Worm.Lover.A
by Nikran / August 10, 2008 6:05 PM PDT

Hi there

I also received this message when AVG anti-spyware was scanning last night. I had numerous messages that Worm.Lover.a had been quarantined and when I deleted it, I still could not access IE7 - it just kept coming up that the worm had been found. I restarted my pc and IE7 seems to have gone completely. The shortcut is still on my desktop, but when I click on it, it states I need to go to C:/program files/file associations and choose a file association. I went into this, but could not find how to choose the file association. IE7 is still listed as being a program on my computer, so not sure what has happened. I ran the spyware check again and it found 69 occurrences of worm infected files. I deleted these and ran the check again, and it found 6 occurrences. I deleted those and it now seems to be clear. The worm was found several times in restore files? and system files. Sorry, cannot be more specific - it seemed to be everywhere!

Collapse -
by its_phil2008 / August 10, 2008 6:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Worm.Lover.A

My AVG picked it up yesterday morning I then deleted it and when I restarted my pc ie7 was dead and I suffered the same problems as everyone else. I did a couple more scans and the worm was not detected at all.

Then AVG released the fix and ie7 is now working, I'm doing some more scans now and I'll let you know if anything else happens.

Collapse -
Worm.lover.a
by Nikran / August 11, 2008 5:51 PM PDT
In reply to: .

Hi

I have done a couple more scans and the worm is not found. How do I get the fix from AVG though if I cannot access the internet?

Thanks!

Collapse -
worm = grrrrr
by its_phil2008 / August 11, 2008 6:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Worm.lover.a

The update is automatic, so you should have it. Also try installing a recent update from windows.

Collapse -
worm.lover.a
by caymangirl63 / August 11, 2008 9:10 AM PDT

Hey, i had this same worm. It was also found through AVG, and I got rid of it and got IE7 working. You have to delete IE7 and reload it, an i've had no problem after that.

Collapse -
Worm from hell!!
by Nikran / August 11, 2008 6:13 PM PDT
In reply to: worm.lover.a

Thanks. Will do. Don't appear to have a disk to reload IE7..........

Collapse -
worm
by its_phil2008 / August 12, 2008 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Worm from hell!!

are you using vista or xp?

XP you can just go to the M$ site and download it, VISTA you cant and you gotta wait for the update from AVG or download the most recent VISTA service pack.

Thats what I did and it worked for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.