HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

General discussion

Working with videos on Palm T|X

by illlogic / November 22, 2005 1:45 AM PST

Ok, so where can you find some good content to take with you on the go for this T|X device? Or can you just transfer clips from your dvd's to your device and if so, how do you do it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Working with videos on Palm T|X
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Working with videos on Palm T|X
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Too big a question, but the answer is yes. Works great.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 2:40 AM PST
Collapse -
Syncing Palm TX to transfer video files to/from PC
by illlogic / November 22, 2005 3:58 AM PST

Ok, so I read somewhere that you can use Windows Media Player 10 to transfer files (like say, videos) to and from your device, but you have to sync it first. How come WMP is not detecting my device? What does it take for it to do this?

Collapse -
I use what Palm gave me for transfer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 4:18 AM PST

I never thought WMP had anything to do with this.

Can you downsize the first set of questions to just one?

What is it you want to do?

bob

Collapse -
Keeping it simple
by illlogic / November 22, 2005 4:55 AM PST

I just want to be able to get some video content on my TX for entertainment purposes, like maybe watching an episode of one of my favorite shows. Or maybe watching music videos that have been downloaded.

Collapse -
The short version.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: Keeping it simple

1. Run up the new Palm Desktop.
2. Click on the Media button.
3. Click on Add Media.

This is why I'm a little confused here. That's all of 3 steps then you let it do the conversion, hotsync and it's good to go.

Did you lose your Palm software?

Bob

Collapse -
Tried transferring, doesn't work
by illlogic / November 23, 2005 3:16 PM PST
In reply to: The short version.

I just tried transferring some files using the software provided by Palm. Now these are video files that I've been downloading from the web as MPEG files. Obviously, they don't work on the device. Even before I do the transfer, it says it will be installed to my memory card because my device doesn't "support this type of file". Well then what kind of files are supported?

Alright, that does it. I'm going to do more research on Palm's site too, see if they even tell me because the Palm Desktop Help section didn't mention a thing about that!

Collapse -
Works for me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 10:06 PM PST

If you have ODDLY ENCODED VIDEOS then it should fail. Use something like VIRTUAL DUB to transcode them to plain encodings that the Palm software can use.

Nothing broken here except your expectations that it would eat all video formats presented.

I'd try one for you, but you didn't provide the filename or link.

Cheers,

bob

Collapse -
file types/conversion
by nyleetch2 / November 25, 2005 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: Works for me.

i did some research over on the www.1src.com forums. According to people there if you download the free media player tcpmp (the core pocket media player) which works on the t|x you can play just about anything, without converting the files. (according to people on that forum it will play just about anything, even divx and xvid possibly with ac3 audio) they do suggest converting full movies to smaller files, both for space perservation and because its easier for the palm to handle/the detail isnt necessary on the smaller screen...

Collapse -
Very nice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2005 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: file types/conversion

I see Virtual Dub is near the top of the page "DVD encoding guides
Guide by The New Guy using VirtualDubMod"

Bob

Collapse -
divx avis etc.
by nyleetch2 / November 22, 2005 4:04 PM PST

I have a more specific question about this for someone who already owns the T|X. Does it play divx and general avi files. If yes, is that with the preinstalled software or do you have to get other software for that?

Collapse -
I have the T|X
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 9:53 PM PST
In reply to: divx avis etc.

"Does it play divx and general avi files."

NO! It converts such via the Palm supplied software to it's native or supported formats. I have not researched what exactly those formats are, but the supplied tools work fine.

"If yes, is that with the preinstalled software or do you have to get other software for that?"

My answer was no, but the supplied software lets you get your content onto the Palm T|X for playback.

-> This all seems to be questions I'd expect you to ask the place or person who sells the units. Or find such on the Palmone site. Are the vendors this bad today?

Bob

Collapse -
vendors
by nyleetch2 / November 22, 2005 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: I have the T|X

i know what you mean but theres usually one of two problems.

1) the vendors want to sell. theyll tell you whatever you want to hear and then hope you don't try to return the item.

2) the vendors have so many things to sell, or are so new to the industry that they just don't know. so they either say "i don't know" (honest but not real helpful) or even worse make something up. Its happened to me.

Collapse -
At least I don't get beat up (much.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: vendors

One person took me to task for not inspecting the resulting files that were shipped over to the Palm T|X. Sadly, my time is a bit constrained but I share what I can since there may be not too many that own the unit and have tried this.

Having said that, once I figure out how to better ship media over wireless this will certainly erase any doubt of me buying the video ipod.

With the 1GB memory card, in my opinion it's a nice mp3 player.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.