Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

Working with embedded excel table in powerpoint

by CNN80 / December 3, 2013 3:12 PM PST

I have an embedded excel table in powerpoint 2007and I need to create a chart based on the data and put it in the next slide.

Is this possible and how do I go about it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Working with embedded excel table in powerpoint
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Working with embedded excel table in powerpoint
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Create a PIC from the Excel Data Table and
by VAPCMD / December 4, 2013 9:37 AM PST

and paste it in the PPT.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
PIC?
by CNN80 / December 5, 2013 1:25 AM PST

I don't get it. What is a PIC? Is it a type of chart?

Collapse -
Create the data table, copy it and paste it into an open
by VAPCMD / December 5, 2013 9:06 AM PST
In reply to: PIC?

part of the worksheet as an IMAGE/PIC(ture). Then copy the pasted image/PIC and paste it into the PPT. Then size the image to fit space....max width is normally 9.5.inches wide.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
More explanation
by CNN80 / December 5, 2013 1:28 PM PST

I think there has been a mix up. I have a table already embedded/inserted in powerpoint. I created it without opening excel i.e. I inserted the table. Now I want a based on that table. I want to know if it is possible to create that chart still working through power point and get it to show on the next slide.

I know I can copy the data out into excel, create the chart and paste back into powerpoint. i just want to know if I can avoid the middle man.

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2013 2:43 PM PST
In reply to: More explanation

Maybe in the future there will be ExcelPoint.
Bob

Collapse -
Following the directions provided is probably the simplest
by VAPCMD / December 6, 2013 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: More explanation

way of capturing and displaying the data behind the CHART. There are probably other ways but that's the simplest and easiest way to do what you asked.

If you find a much better feel free to post it here for the next user with the same problem.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Directions
by CNN80 / December 6, 2013 1:05 PM PST

Could you throw more light on this? I don't know what directions you are talking about.

Collapse -
I misread your post....I read it as you wanted to show
by VAPCMD / December 7, 2013 4:39 AM PST
In reply to: Directions

the data behind the chart/table from an existing spreadsheet vice creating a chart/graph from a table in a PPT. To do what you want really depends on how the data table was added or embedded into the PPT.

If it was done one way....you could copy the data as is, the individual entries en masse, put them into Excel and create a CHART or TABLE from there. You should be able to paste or embed that CHART/TABLE back into PPT. If it was just a PIC of a table from Excel ...the you'd have to recreate (type-in) the data. Here are some links on Tables in PowerPoint that might help explain further.

https://www.google.com/#q=powerpoint+with+embedded+table

Let is know how it works out.

Collapse -
Did it the long way
by CNN80 / December 8, 2013 8:57 PM PST

Like I mentioned earlier, I embedded a chart in powerpoint, then copied out the data from the embedded table and used it as the chart's source data. I did all this throw powerpoint but I have two tables, The visible embedded one and the invisible one behind the chart.

Collapse -
Ok...Thanks for the outcome. Since I use Excel way
by VAPCMD / December 9, 2013 10:53 AM PST
In reply to: Did it the long way

more than PPT ....I'd have done it the other way...used Excel to enter the figures and create the chart...then pop'em both into PPT.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.