HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Working with a 19" TV.

by jaredmac11 / September 23, 2007 6:45 AM PDT

Hey guys. Im a student without too much money to throw around. I was wanting to get a smaller HD tv (mostly for the widescreen, not so much the HD. I dont have HD cable, I dont have an HD console, and I dont have HD movies), but those things run at like $600-800, so they will definitely have to come later in life.

All I have is a 19" TV for my room. It only has one input, a coax input.

Id like to get cable to my TV and hook up my DVD player. My DVD player only has S-vid, composite and component outputs, so Im not sure what to do.

Are there converters out there that would allow me to hook up my DVD player and dvd player?

also, my room only has one cable jack, and that is currently being used for my modem. Im not entirely certain if this is legal (please PLEASE tell me if its not) but my gf gave me a cable splitter and I was wanting to split the line so I could hook up my TV and keep my internet running from one jack. Is this feasible? Would I see any kind of performance hit from my cable internet?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Working with a 19" TV.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Working with a 19" TV.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by JonM81 / September 23, 2007 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Working with a 19" TV.

On your TV and DVD situation, your DVD should hook up via RCA cables OR SVideo. I am not 100% positive though...

The cable signal for internet modem may be too weak for TV. You can try and see what kinds of channels you can find.

Good Luck!

Collapse -
by jaredmac11 / September 23, 2007 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm...

Well, I was wanting to hook up the player to the TV and the TV doesnt match any of the inputs/outputs (Im getting em confused) that the DVD player is compatible with. Is there some kind of converter that I can use to allow me to use the RCA cables that I have for the DVD player to be connected to the TV via a converter?

And yeah, I can fiddle with the cable but I may move the modem to a different room and just pick up the connection wirelessly (like my roommates have to do) so I can use my cable jack.

Collapse -
by JonM81 / September 23, 2007 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: OK

The DVD player ONLY hooks up via S-Video? No RCA out to plugs into your TV?

The cable company uses a weaker signal from the outside of the house to install internet cable. If its just one room they installed it to, you may be confined to low signal in that room unless they come and adjust it for you.

Collapse -
by jaredmac11 / September 23, 2007 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: So....

I think my confused self is confusing you.

My TV only has coax input/output/whatever.

My dvd player can be hooked up with s-video, composite or component and thats it. So Im asking if theres some sort of converter to get one of those inputs to match.

Collapse -
You got me...
by JonM81 / September 23, 2007 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry

So your TV only has cable imput then right? No way to hook up a PS2 or gaming system right? If thats the case, I think you SOL and may beed a different TV. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in to help...

Collapse -
This Is What You Need
by sunwatcher / September 23, 2007 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Working with a 19" TV.

You can pick up an RF modulator from Radio Shack. It will convert the S-vid or composite signal (RCA jack) to a TV signal for the cable input.

As for the legality of the splitter, your cable company is the one to check with on that. If you're not paying for the TV signal though, then you can assume you shouldn't be using it. You shouldn't use just any RF splitter though. You'll need to find one with the right characteristics for splitting the TV and broadband signals. Normally the cable company provides it, but you might be able to find one elsewhere. Check with Radio Shack on this also.

Collapse -
by jaredmac11 / September 23, 2007 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: This Is What You Need

Ah, thanks. Yes, we pay for cable and internet. Ill have to talk to them about splitting the connection.

Thanks again.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.