Computer Help forum

General discussion

Workgroup Password Protection Question

by knugs / February 8, 2006 3:32 AM PST

I have a work related question. Three of the offices are networked as a workgroup. All of the files are available and accessible by each department through My Network Places. I tried to password protect the folders but I was unsuccessful. I also created a new folder on the desktop, but still the desktop is accessible by each department. My question is, how do I make these folders protected by a password so that only each individual department can access their files? There is a mixed bag of OS such as Windows XP Professional and Windows 98 2nd Edition. I also run backup travan tapes on each department so I would need the folders to be accessible during those times, but if all it would take is to enter a password that would be fine. Sorry if I am missing any important information here. I can tell you more info if you need it. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Workgroup Password Protection Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Workgroup Password Protection Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Knugs, Change Security Permissions On XP & 2000
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 8, 2006 5:43 AM PST

Windows 98 doesn't have NTFS file system and isn't a secure operating system, so the only way to limit file access is to limit the specific folders shared. In addition, unlike XP & 2000 you can create a sharing password on each of the folders shared.. Many network admin think they need to share the entire "C" drive when in fact, you only need to share specific folders/directories. Only share those folders you want seen. ON a Windows 98 machine, RIGHT click on the specific shared folder, click on "Sharing", then create a password to that particular folder. Users attempting to access the shared folder will be required to enter a password.

On Windows 2000/XP with NTFS file systems, you should be able to limit access to ONLY those specific users of choice. First, don't share the entire C drive if you don't have to. Next, as an example on XP PRO, for those folders/directories that are shared, RIGHT click on the folder, choose "Sharing and Security", then click on the "Permissions" button. At the next screen, remove the "Everyone" listing. (Or maybe you want to leave the "Everyone" listing but only give everyone "Read" permissions.) Next, "ADD" those users or groups that you want to have access and give those specific users "Full" permissions..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Repost for Riley (email removed...)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2006 12:44 AM PDT

"Ditch a workgroup!

You need a domain if you are doing file sharing!! It doesn't work trying to password protect files. Look into Windows Small Business Server. If you need more help getting started, email me at (edited here) "see my profile"

John Riley "

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?