Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Wordpress, Joomla or Nvu/Kompozer(html editor)

by harleytherapy / March 16, 2009 2:09 AM PDT

We have an existing website with static pages. We're not particularly IT savvy but we're trying to add a more dynamic section to it with News, information & Articles. Can anyone suggest if wordpress or joomla would be a good idea, or can we continue to use Nvu/kompozer to add news and articles?

Site is http://www.harleytherapy.co.uk
Initial thoughts were to add an extension /news.

Hosting account is with Godaddy & I believe Wordpress/joomla is relatively straightforward to set up. But not sure if there is a better way of doing it or if such integration would be problematic.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wordpress, Joomla or Nvu/Kompozer(html editor)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wordpress, Joomla or Nvu/Kompozer(html editor)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pros and Cons
by Sovereign Forum moderator / March 16, 2009 12:08 PM PDT

Using NVU/Kompozer:

Pro

Doesn't require much setup. You can use your existing design, add articles (new pages) and link to them on the front page. This way, your front page is changing and content is added.

Con

If you have a lot of new content you are adding, if you don't organize it and make a long-term plan, it won't be organized and very hard to manage. You also have to upload all the changes, which requires you to have NVU/Kompozer installed on the computer, make the changes offline, then upload.

Using Wordpress/Joomla:

Pro

These are content management systems (CMS)... made to manage a large amount of content. It would be very dynamic, as in you can login online and add/manage/edit/delete articles, pages, ANY content any time.

Con

You either have to re-create your design in Wordpress/Joomla to keep your current design (which may be a lot of work for not so tech savvy people) or you have to use a template and modify it to your liking... which again, it will require some homework on how to do that.

--

Considering both options, if you want something you want to publish tomorrow, NVU/Kompozer can get the job done, however, if you are willing to invest some time and switch over to a CMS, in the long run, Wordpress/Joomla would pay off and it would be easier to manage and create/add new things over time.

By the way, Wordpress is straight forward but Joomla is not.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Pros & Cons
by harleytherapy / March 16, 2009 8:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Pros and Cons

Excellent summary Thank you. Sounds like at some point it's worth us making the transition to a CMS...

Collapse -
I agree Wordpress is...
by rupeshnarvekar1977 / May 5, 2009 12:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Pros & Cons

Wordpress is the best for average use (almost 90%+) websites we see out there, WP has a lot of options, plugins, which can make it scalable
Rup

Collapse -
So far so good
by harleytherapy / May 6, 2009 12:38 AM PDT

WP working well so far. Subdirectory was installed at http://www.harleytherapy.co.uk/counselling/
There has been one big glitch - namely our attempt at translating pages with Global translator went awry. I think this was because there were too many request on the translation software which brought about 404 errors. Next step is to learn how to translate posts without also translating tag & category pages

Collapse -
Your site will work great on a CMS
by cr4zyfortech / May 6, 2009 11:15 AM PDT

I took a look at your site - it looks clean and simple.
If you want to keep the look you currently have, and still make it more dynamic, I would say CMS is the way to go.

Similar to joomla is hotdoodle. It's pretty easy to transfer your site there (yes, like Joomla you'd have to "re-create it", except that hotdodle can actually do it for you if you want them to).

Your site would look practically identical to it now, except then you can add a block that allows you to post your upcoming news, information, articles etc. Somewhere on your homepage you can also allow clients to enter their email address, and it will subscribe them to your newsletter, so that you can broadcast a newsletter every month or so to keep your customers up to date!

I went around looking for an example for you and sort of found one in their templates: at the bottom left they let people sign up for their newsletter: http://s3.hotdoodle.com/_template_hypnotherapy_d/

And then of course, just like wordpress, joomla, etc. you can edit from anywhere. At least this way you can make it more dynamic and interact with your customers more, which is a very important part of any business, as I've learned.

Collapse -
Thanks
by harleytherapy / May 7, 2009 4:29 AM PDT

Thanks very much for reviewing it and for that suggestion. Currently our pages are .htm Is there a way of retaining those pages so that backlinks are not invalid?

Collapse -
You can retain anything you want.....
by urielposselt / May 12, 2009 3:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

You can retain anything you want, as long as you do it right.
I create websites under joomla and wordpress. I like more joomla personally. But each one has its likability. I also redesign HTML websites to Joomla and WP, and of course you can retain anything you want. Do a little of research, be patience and you will find all your questions.

Good Luck,

Uriel

Collapse -
redirect your old backlinks to the new ones
by cr4zyfortech / May 12, 2009 5:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Whatever you end up using, I'm sure you can find a way to make your site redirect someone if they try to go to one of your old links.

You can either have a generic page, so if someone goes to any invalid URL, they get directed to a "Sorry, that page wasn't found." And then you can redirect them to your homepage.

OR

You can spend time being more specific, where if they go to a page like http://www.harleytherapy.co.uk/therapists-london-therapy.htm you can redirect them to the new URL of that page.

You may want people to know that you've moved/enhanced your site, so you can first redirect them to a page that says "This page has been moved since we enhanced our website. Click Here to be redirected to the new page."

You will have to look around on the internet on how to do that. I know for http://hotdoodle.com, you can message them and they're quite good at responding promptly with advice (sometimes they actually just do it for you, if you ask them).

Collapse -
Experimenting
by harleytherapy / May 12, 2009 9:48 PM PDT

Thanks for all your comments & help. We're experimenting with it & hope it will improve the site as a whole.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!