Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Word Workflow/document creation question

I was hoping, if I give my requirements for a Word document, someone might be able to help me with the best way to go about doing is...hopefully with some detail.

I have a contract I send out, along with 3 other users. What I want to due is have a template or something that allows me to enter in a couple variables that appear in the contract document multiple times. There are also about 10 check box items that I want to appear checked or unchecked according to what the user decides. The final product is a Word document we send to a customer...I'm just looking for the quickest way to fill in the information we always have to fill in.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Word Workflow/document creation question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Word Workflow/document creation question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmm, WordPipe could do that.

In reply to: Word Workflow/document creation question

Also, any IT staffer and programmer could make a front end for you to do this. But I stop short of writing such for free here.

Bob

Collapse -
Okay

In reply to: Hmm, WordPipe could do that.

I've written a userform that fills in a template. The problem is the resulting .rtf or .doc file prompts the userform. Anyway to just have the master have the vba code?

Collapse -
That sounds fine.

In reply to: Okay

If some prompt occurs and that's the only downside and you have no programming staff then that seems like a fine solution.

Bob

Collapse -
Follow up

In reply to: That sounds fine.

I am trying to get the form to prompt the userform on my side, but not on the doc that is saved with the code and sent out to customers. Receiving the userform on the customer side is not suitable because it allows the user to change the word file.

Collapse -
Then maybe it's time to check about ...

In reply to: Follow up

Hiring a consultant or programmer to finish off your application. While I'll comment about quick items or more I have to stop short of full blown applications.

As to changing the document that is what Word is for. It seems strange to ask Word not to allow us to edit a document.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Anyways

In reply to: Then maybe it's time to check about ...

Let me rephrase....Not so concerned with the end user being able to edit the .doc. I just don't want them to get prompted with the userform that pops up when the .dot file is opened on my side. Not sure if this qualifies as a "full blown application".

Anybody else?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Since it's on your side...

In reply to: Thanks Anyways

Maybe you can use a keyboard macro to do this. There are some dozens of keyboard macro programs out there. Maybe that will answer your dialogue box for you.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Again

In reply to: Since it's on your side...

Yes, you are right a keyboard macro would do the trick. I was just wondering if its possible to not have the code pass over to the created doc at all.

Collapse -
Yes.

In reply to: Thanks Again

But that would require coding up an application. Here I stop short of writing applications and focus on end user solutions. i.e. non-business issues.

Full disclosure time. Yes, I write applications, but I charge for those.

Bob

Collapse -
Anybody else have any tips?

In reply to: Yes.

Would an .rtf file work? Any other ways?

Collapse -
"would an rtf-file work?"

In reply to: Anybody else have any tips?

That's exactly what I intended to ask you, because you can easily try. But you already answered "no" in the post #3 of this discussion. So why do you ask it now?

Better: use any pdf-creator (like free cutepdf or pdf995) to save the document as pdf and sent that to the customer. Nothing wrong with that, I'd say. It's rather unchangeable and that seems to be one of the requirements (see post #5).

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Sorry

In reply to: "would an rtf-file work?"

Okay. I successfully had the form populate the document and save it to My documents as an .rtf file. The code, however, does pull over to the .rtf file. So, the user is still prompted with the macro message.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!