Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Word won't open files

I just installed Microsoft office 2003 which included Worc,Exel,etc.

Word will not open ANY doc rtf nothing Even when saved from the program its self. You can type something, 'save as', close, go to open it, and the box pops up saying 'doc not available'

Also when you try to close the whole program, it insists on wanting you to save normal.doc? and its an empty sheet nothing there I just want to close the program!

I have Asked the lady that is teaching about this, but it seems she is as clueless as I am.

I can open EVERY doc with wordpad or notepad...

I've uninstalled reinstalled. I had OpenOffice. IT worked but thought for home business reasons MO would be better, as it seems to be the one formatt all computers read.

So I uninstalled Open Office thinking perhaps a conflict in programs. Didn't help

I also have XP as OS on this computer.

This is frusterating as I am also taking classes to LEARN Word, to come home and not be able to practice what I've learned since it will not open saved documents....

HELP! before I shoot the thing!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Word won't open files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Word won't open files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this...

In reply to: Word won't open files

Look up ADD REMOVE PRO in these forums and remove Word.

Then reinstall it. What happens?

Have you looked at the new version of Open Office? I know it's a beta, but it's what I use...

Bob

Collapse -
Isn't it the same thing

In reply to: Try this...

as the add remove programs thats in control panel? wouldn't having another one be a bit redundent?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not in my experience.

In reply to: Isn't it the same thing

Collapse -
full of questions aren't I

In reply to: (NT) Not in my experience.

would Open Office conflict with Word?

Collapse -
I have both on the laptop and no. BUT!!!

In reply to: full of questions aren't I

You have to answer the one question during install whether to associate the files with Open Office. In your case... no.

Bob

Collapse -
Two questions.

1. Did you delete normal.dot between the uninstall and the install? It's one of the things that survive.
2. Can you provide the full and exact text of the error message? I doubt if it is "doc not available" litterally. It helps searching on google if you have the exact text.

Kees

Collapse -
no

In reply to: Two questions.

i did not delete normal.doc

the error says the <name>.doc not available end of error message.

Collapse -
Then try deleting normal.dot. Won't harm ...

In reply to: no

although it's unlikely it is corrupted shortly after the initial install.

New idea:
Most error messages in Word have an OK and a Help button. The Help button might lead to a explanatory text giving a clue to the reason or hints to correct the situation. Post it here, if you can.

Kees

Collapse -
After install remove and no fix. The association has to be .

Check the Open command in the file association. Here's how.

To Edit a File Association
1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click the View All Control Panel Options link, if present.
3. Double-click Folder Options.
4. Click the File Types tab.
5. Click the file type whose association you want to change, and then click Advanced.
6. Click the action you want to edit, and then click Edit.
7. Edit the file association as necessary, and then click OK.

The OPEN action for DOC files needs checking. Tell what it is here.

Bob

Collapse -
File association

In reply to: After install remove and no fix. The association has to be .

Action=&Open

Application="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde

USE DDE box is checked

DDE Message=[REM _DDE_Direct][FileOpen("%1")]

Application=WinWord

Topic=System

When opening a file i.e. Test.doc it says:
The file Test.doc is unavailable.
Has only an OK button.

wordpad or Notepad can open it with no problems.

Collapse -
Looks like DDE is dead.

In reply to: File association

Try ...

Action=&Open

Application="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE" "%1"

USE DDE box is unchecked

Collapse -
I tried :(

In reply to: Looks like DDE is dead.

I changed it to what you suggested. The following things happened.

1: file still did not open.
2: When I went back to check if I did it right the DDE box was checked again. I unchecked it and hit ok then reopened the edit box, DDE was checked again.

It doesn't want to let me change it.

Collapse -
More descript

When closing Word 2003, a msg pops up: "The file Normal.dot already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?" If I choose Yes, it closes. If I choose No, it prompts me to save. When I cancel, it goes back to the blank document screen. If I click close again..."Changes have been made that affect the global template, Normal.dot. Do you want to save those changes?" Word closes if I choose Yes or No.

When I try to open a previously saved file, "The file Doc2.doc is not available" (doc2.doc is the test file I used), then it loops back to the aforementioned issues.

Collapse -
Virus? Or anti-virus?

Reading your posts, I don't get the impression that you open the file by clicking on it in Windows Explorer, but by the File>Open command in Word itself. That makes the whole dde-discussion pointless, in my opinion.

The part on not being able to open the file, is quite clear now. I typed "the document" "is not available" word into google (that's why I asked for the exact text of the message). The first hit is a very good one: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835404 is titled 'You receive a "File is not available" error message when you try to open an Office 2003 document'. That's about right, it seems. The remarkable cause being discussed is an outdated anti-virus program, not compatible with Word 2003. The remedy is simple: either update it (or totally uninstall it and replace it with a more recent antivirus program) or possibly (but not to be recommended!) exclude word-documents from the list of files to check.
Also note the possibility discussed that a virus on your machine is causing the problem by infecting the saved file. That would be a rather good explanation for the apparent change in normal.dot. That's more likely, in fact, then some mysterious error in Word changing normal.dot when saving a new file. You'll need the latest antivirus anyway, so use it to do a full scan when installed.

Just a note: free (and generally considered good) anti-virus programs are AVG Free, Avast and Antivir. If you prefer a paid program, you might be able to get a program like eSafe, Norton, McAfee or Panda via school for a very reduced price. Most schools want their pupils to have an antivirus, for fear of having their network infected.

If this is the cause, by the way, it's no wonder your teacher couldn't help you. It's a problem outside Word.

Hope this helps, and let us know!

Kees

Collapse -
That's a great clue.

In reply to: Virus? Or anti-virus?

Some AV will integrate and scan the file on open via DDE or other.

Frankly I see an association issue since I use the %1 method just fine.

Maybe the old trick of a SHIFT-RIGHT-CLICK OPENWITH and reassociate it with WINWORD too?

Bob

Collapse -
Finally fixed it

In reply to: That's a great clue.

Uninstalled XP then reinstalled it and Microsoft Office all over again......apparently whatever the problem was was fixed once that was done. Thanks for all the help...I still do not know what cause the kink in the operation of things but.....its fixed now Grin

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.