Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Word Text

by colinito / September 10, 2008 4:11 AM PDT

Hello Everyone!
I've just re-installed windows XP Prof: + SP3 and office 2003. My word programme is causing problems.

1. The text, when written, is presenting on the screen as about 14 size, even though 12 has been chosen as the text size. How is it possible to have it appear as it should be - font size 12?

2. The text goes out of the visual screen and, to read it, I have to scroll from left to right. How do I keep the written text within visual range?

I expect that the answer is really simple - but as I am past my sell-by-date, it seems so silly that I can not control it!

Any assistance will be thankfully received and faithfully applied!

Regards

Colinito

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Word Text
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Word Text
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell us more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2008 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Word Text

Such as what printer driver is installed, what default printer is selected, video and motherboard drivers used, etc.

Collapse -
Word 2003
by colinito / September 10, 2008 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell us more.

Hello M. Proffitt,

I regret that I do not know how to check out the drivers of the items. However, I have an HP psc 1315 printer - (series 1310). The motherboard CD has P4S800 Series on it. Other than that, I have no information.

Regards,

Colinito

Collapse -
Re: Word 2003
by Kees Bakker / September 10, 2008 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Word 2003

- How did you reinstall Windows: maker supplied restore CD or a Microsoft Windows XP CD), clean install or repair install?
- Did you install all necessary drivers? Tell all you did, in the sequence you did it. Where did they come from?
- Then download BELARC ADVISOR and tell us the details on your video card.
- Any exclamation marks in Device Manager? What does Device Manager say about the video and printer drivers?
- What are your monitor settings for the resolution?

Kees

Collapse -
Word 2003
by colinito / September 10, 2008 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Word 2003

Helo Kees,
You will never know the difficulty I had searching for some of these answers!
It was a clean Installation, after the original windows XP had been deleted due to continual crashes. Which could not be diagnosed.
After installation, the Motherboard CD was inserted and installed, Then Office 2003, Then Nero, All th4se by CD. Then, from the web download of Picasa2, Yahoo mail and messenger, Gmail, Windows Live, (W.L.Messenger came with Windows) Then Windows updates. After each installation I was required to restart the computer.

There may be a missing driver because I get a message on startup stating - Entry Point not found, The procedure entry point ?KEYBD Event@cppointingdevice@@QAEEKK@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library COMNCTR.dll. There was a CD Called VGA Driver Compact Disc. When I tried to install it, the installation was for NVIDIA GeForce4MX4000 with Install Drivers - Install 9.X - Install WDM Drivers - During installation of WDM Drivers a notice came up stating Microsoft strongly recommends STOP THE INSTALLATION NOW, Software has not passed windows logo testing to verify it's compatibility with XP. I therefore checked the STOP INSTALLATION button and was promptly told that I had successfully installed it. I can't find it in search.

There is one exclamation mark against 'unknown device'. It is the NVIDIA as detailed above. It says - drivers not installed (code 28) To reinstall drivers click reinstall drivers.

Under the Sound Video and Game Controllers there is - Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, legacy Video Capture Devices, media Control Devices, Sound Max Integrated Digital Audio, Standard Game Poret, !Unknown Device, Video Codecs.

In Belarc (what a very informative programme - thank you for that) There are no details about a video card, I didn't think I had one, and if I had, I have never used it!

The monitor resolution is set to 1024 by 760.

Hope this answers some or all of your questions

Regards

Colinito

Collapse -
Re: software
by Kees Bakker / September 10, 2008 7:36 AM PDT

You did a good job with giving info.

I would start with installing the videocard software. Never mind what it says about Microsoft (strongly) advising you not to do it because it isn't certified. It's the original driver from Nvidia, that had been installed before you reformatted. So it has to be installed now.

You might have to look in at the message for the keyboard/pointing device driver (that's the touchpad of the laptop, probably). That's not a motherboard driver, so it might be on another CD.
But that's not an Office problem, so better do that in the Computer Help forum.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Word 2003
by colinito / September 10, 2008 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: software

Thanks, Kees, for that.
I have copied your instructions and will do that tomorrow - it is past 12 pm now, so it is already tomorrow! so I should correct that by saying - I'll attend to that later!

many thanks again, I don't really understand all you say, because I do not have a laptop, just a tower with a lot of very confusing things inside that appear to have behavioural problems. Hopefully with your help, they will ease of.
I'll leave this thread open, in case I need to come back for more help.

Thanks and goodnight (at least, it is here!)

Colinito

(PS; I just had a crash - so I restored to the time - the only time - on the computer and that was at the end of the installations at 9.30 ish last night - about 3 odd hours ago!)

Collapse -
Word 2003
by colinito / September 10, 2008 6:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: software

Hello again, Kes,

I installed NVIDIA drivers with the CD (all items).

Unfortunately, the notice keeps coming up about the pointing device driver - so I suppose I shall have to keep removing it. (Also, as a matter of interest, I keep getting a notice about installing 'photo gallery', but as I do not have that programme, I just click it off each of the 3 times that it comes up!)

Other than that, whilst it is inconvenient, it does not appear to interfere with the running of the computer - (just causes an initial delay!)

Thank you for your help,

Colinito.

Collapse -
Re: installed video drivers
by Kees Bakker / September 10, 2008 7:12 PM PDT

You don't tell if that solved your video problems in Word. In stead, you started a new thread about this same problem without telling anything about the video. That's very confusing.

So, please:
- tell the effect of installing the driver
- go to the Computer Help forum for your other problems (a pointing device doesn't seem to be related to a Word view, not does the notice about photo gallery'.

Taken all together, I get the impression you did an imcomplete or incorrect reinstall. It's difficult to diagnose the details.

Kees

Collapse -
The solution.
by Kees Bakker / September 12, 2008 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Word Text

In a parallel thread Colinito just posted here solution: use View>Zoom to zoom back to 100%. Easy, once you know it.
Posting it here for future reference.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?