HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

word problem

by mbenefield43 / September 6, 2010 3:54 AM PDT

I am illiterate when it comes to computers. I need help when trying to bring up a word document or open
task launcher a window comes up says preparing to install and just stays there I have had this computer for years always worked before what happened this windows installer just came form no where

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: word problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: word problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Checked For Malware Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 6, 2010 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: word problem

By the way, it would sure help if we knew more about your computer, such as: the operating system, make and model, laptop or desktop, version of Microsoft Word you're using, plus anything else you thing might help to solve the issue.

In the meantime, if you haven't checked for malware on the computer, then please download, install, udpate, then run a full system scan with both of the free removal tools below. Delete anything they find.

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Malwarebytes Antimalware

Collapse -
word
by mbenefield43 / September 6, 2010 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: word problem

It is microsoft windows xp home edition 2002 it is a dell dimension 4600 there is all kinds of word programs in my programs list word 2002 launcher 2004
launcher2001 i dont know where all this came from and yes all spyware has been romoved and system scan has been done no help there

Collapse -
So You've Run Malwarebytes Recently On This Machine?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 6, 2010 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: word

Yes, or no? If not, then please do so.. It finds a lot of malware that other tools don't find.

Here's the problem.. Task Launcher 2004 is a Microsoft WORKS program (Probably MS Works Suite 2004), while Microsoft Word comes in a couple different forms.. One, as part of the WORKS SUITE and the other as part of Microsoft Office 2002. (It can also be installed as a standalone product but most folks don't do that unless necessary.) So, which do you have? And if it's part of WORKS, do you have the reinstall CD which would allow you to uninstall the WORKS program, then reinstall it again? That should take care of the problem if no malware is on the machine and the WORKS program has become corrupted.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.