This setting is in the default template NORMAL.DOT. To change it, do the following:
1. Open Word -- the blank document comes up in the default view (Normal, for you).
2. Change to Page Layout View.
3. On the File menu, select Close; the document will disappear, leaving a grey window.
4. Close Word by clicking on the X in the upper left corner.
5. Open Word again, it should now come up in Page Layout View.
Hope this helps.
When I open a word doc in office 2002 it always defaults to the "normal view" which stretches the document across the page. I then select "print layout view" and the doc displays just how I want it to. Is there any way I can get word to open word docs in the print layout view?