HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

WORD - how to make Underline Words Only the default?

by DoctorBill / October 17, 2006 9:04 AM PDT

I would like to know if I can make Underline Words Only the
default.

DoctorBill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WORD - how to make Underline Words Only the default?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WORD - how to make Underline Words Only the default?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure what you want to do.
by Papa Echo / October 17, 2006 3:12 PM PDT

Can you put that in different words ? Do you want to have a MS Word document which automatically underline the words as you type, and have this done for every Word document (i.e. default) ?

Collapse -
Re: underline words only
by Kees Bakker / October 17, 2006 5:05 PM PDT

Doctor Bill,

It's a little bit unclear what you want, indeed. I understand you want some kind of default or automatic ctrl-shift-w.

You can add a "underline word" (it looks like a underlined W in my Word XP) button to a toolbar. I just put it next to italic and bold and (normal) underline. It works as expected, like those other three.

And I think you can make it a default for all text of all your documents (but I doubt if you want that) by clicking it in an empty normal.dot (the default template) and saving that.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Just set Format>Font then click [Default]
by ChuckT / October 19, 2006 8:48 AM PDT

While you would be modifying your ''Normal.dot'' (the template that Word keeps around to know what you want for your defaults of fonts, paragraphs, page size, etc., you do not need to open your Normal.dot to do so.

When you have any Word doc open, just click on the commands Format>Font and in that window just select the style of font you want for your default.
Once you have that all set, then just click on the [Default] button, that you will see in the bottom left corner of that Font window.

You will see a message like:
---------------------------------------
''Do you want to change the default font to (Default] <your selection>?

This change will affect all new documents based on the NORMAL template.
''
---------------------------------------

Click the [Yes] button and you are done.

(You do not need to save the document you have open at the time.)

Collapse -
Explanation of what I wanted to do....
by DoctorBill / October 19, 2006 9:45 AM PDT

Normally, WORD underlines text and spaces - underlines all.

I want it to default to underlining the text only - always.

That is what I am asking - how do I force it to do
UNDERLINE TEXT ONLY (no spaces underlined).

DoctorBill

Collapse -
Not by Default
by entrecon / October 19, 2006 12:17 PM PDT

Take a look at Kees post and he explains how to do this.

Word DOES NOT underline words and spaces by default. The tool on the toolbar is to underline words and spaces. If you want to underline words only, put the correct tool on the toolbar.

Collapse -
Yes, by Default, it can still do what you want.
by ChuckT / October 19, 2006 6:38 PM PDT

The answer is still the same. Just make your Font settings, in this case the item you want is Format>Font, Underline style: Words only and then click the [Default] button.

It doesn't matter what Font style you want, you are setting the Font style of the Normal.dot with that button.

Collapse -
Don't Do This
by entrecon / October 19, 2006 7:41 PM PDT

He doesn't want ALL of his text to be underline, which is what the set default button would do. He wants WORDS ONLY underlined when he chooses the underline style.

To accomplish this he just needs to customize the toolbar nad put the Words Only underline button on the toolbar.

Collapse -
Please read what I wrote.
by ChuckT / October 20, 2006 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't Do This

I said there is a WORDS ONLY selection there, not just an underline selection.

I did it. It works fine for me. It only underlines the text, not the spaces.

Try it. It might just be that you are missing what I am mentioning.

I tried it on one computer that has Word 2003, and another computer that has "just" Word XP. I have no idea if it works for earlier versions of Word, but I have no reason to not expect so.

Collapse -
Read what Doctor Bill wrote.
by Kees Bakker / October 20, 2006 6:31 AM PDT

"Normally, WORD underlines text and spaces - underlines all."

That's NOT what Word 'normally' does, I'd say.

Word underlines text and spaces if you toggle underline with ctrl-U or the U tool in the toolbar or set the font to underline.
To make Word underline words only, you need to toggle that mode with shift-control-W or the W tool in the toolbar (needs customizing to contain it) or set the font to underline word only.
These are strictly equivalent. And in my opinion ctrl-U isn't more 'normal' than shift-ctrl-W. Or ctrl-I or ctrl-B, for that matter. Just a little bit more usual and better known. Had Microsoft made another choice for icons in the default toolbar it might just as well have been the other way around.

And don't you agree that 'normally' is a rather strange way of describing 'when I press ctrl-U'. Just like 'normally' is a rather strange way of describing 'when I press ctrl-shift-W'.

Note also that it's a rather strange option in the Font dialog window, at least in Word 2000. It lets you specify 'underline words only' in only one default style (single line), while you can specify 'underline words and spaces' in many styles (dots, multiple versions of dashes, double line, ...). Wouldn't it be logical if these were different choices: one for WHAT to underline: words only versus words and space, and another one for HOW to underline (single line, double line, dots, dashes etc). But it could be that higher versions of Word are better in this respect than Word 2000.

Kees

Collapse -
So you want to debate what normal is?
by ChuckT / October 20, 2006 8:53 AM PDT

I don't. What is normal to me or you or the man in the moon is all per personal preference or experience.

But that doesn't matter. I read what DoctorBill wrote:
-------------
Explanation of what I wanted to do....
Normally, WORD underlines text and spaces - underlines all.

I want it to default to underlining the text only - always.

That is what I am asking - how do I force it to do UNDERLINE TEXT ONLY (no spaces underlined).

-------------

and that is what I said, making the selection I had said, would give him. For whatever reason, whether it is ''normal'' or not.

I agree with you, that MS should have provided the capability to have the ''Words only'' function selectable, and then the style of underlining selectable in another selection. That way a user could select the double-underline with/without the ''Words only'' option. But they didn't. Maybe they'll make that an option, in future options of Word, if many normal people (or not Happy ) start asking for it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.