Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Mac OS forum

General discussion

Word files sometimes disappear under 10.4

by simoncroft / April 11, 2006 8:30 AM PDT

I thought I was imagining things at first but has anyone else had a problem where you save Word files but they don't appear in the folder where you saved them?

I've had this problem using Word 2004 V11 on a Mac Mini running 10.4.6 but on other Macs as well.

If I look at the list of recently opened documents within Word, I can always find the file I saved listed there. Usually, if I then 'save as', the original file name miraculously appears in the same folder - so it isn't a disaster. I'm just curious to know if I'm alone on this one and if there is a known fix.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Word files sometimes disappear under 10.4
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Word files sometimes disappear under 10.4
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Poof! Where is it??
by taboma / April 11, 2006 1:40 PM PDT

Simon, sometimes I have that happen with Adobe Photoshop files saved to my desktop. Look for them and they are no where to be viewed. They are there, yet I cannot view them.
I go back and open Photoshop, look for and open the file. Do another save-as and the file is saved so that I can see and locate this on the desktop.
Why this happens? Who knows. Just a glitch every once in a while.
When was the last time you rebuilt your desktop?
That may help to clean out the cobwebs and other little problems.

That just reminded me to rebuild my desktop also.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Rebuild Desktop
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 11, 2006 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Poof! Where is it??

Kevin,

What is the procedure for rebuilding the desktop on a machine that is running 10.4.6?

I know what the procedure is for doing it under OS 9 or Classic but I seem to have missed the whole "rebuilding the desktop on OS X" thing.

P

Collapse -
Thanks
by simoncroft / April 12, 2006 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Rebuild Desktop

Thanks for the input guys. I've repaired permissions and I'll see if that does the trick.

As for strategies for getting OS9 back on its feet, I understand why that still burns in the memory.

Collapse -
Rebuilding
by taboma / April 12, 2006 6:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Rebuild Desktop

Pete, I stumbled upon it a couple of months ago in OSX
Can't find the darn thing thing right now to tell you.
Maybe spotlight will help me.

Interesting to get this from Spotlite:

Clearing Cache

How many members out there have not cleared out the CACHE from their internet connections lately. Every time you go to the net and view a file, the cache is there to store it and have a review of the file if you go back to the site. All this builds up, time after time to cause a problem with memory on your hard drive. Eventually, it will cause a problem like running out of disk space, or the disk is full or such.
My sister-in-law asked me for my help last week when she had a disk-full error message. I asked her when was the last time she cleared the cache from her internet provider? She did not know what I was suggesting. She has been on the internet for over four years and had not heard of cache. I led her through it: While on your internet provider, click on preferences, go to www and click on the icon. You will see a screen: CACHE. Click or empty cache now. This gets rid of thousands of needless files. Or in the case of my sister-in-law, even more after years of viewing web sites. Needless to say, her system is free of needless files now and freed-up a considerable amount of memory. No more error messages: Your disk is full. Also, don't forget to rebuild the desktop on a regular basis. Like an oil job to your automobile. Restart your computer holding down the Apple/Option keys. You will get a prompt to rebuild the desktop. Click OK. Hope this helps. Something we all fail to do on a weekly basis.
Kevin
Posted by: taboma Posted on: 10/05/2004

Peter, in the meantime I rally have to find out how to do a desktop rebuild while in OSX again.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Rebuilding Desktop
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 12, 2006 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Rebuilding

This is an OS 9 function only.

You can do it from OS X by clicking the "Rebuild Desktop" button in the Classic System preference.

Rebuilding the desktop has no effect on anything that OS X does.

P

Collapse -
Rebuilding the desktop
by taboma / April 13, 2006 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Rebuilding Desktop

Thanks Pete, If I remember correctly the last time I did a rebuild desktop some months ago, there was a prompt that asked do you want to rebuild the desktop in Classic?
You have explained it.
Thanks,

-Kevin

Collapse -
Clearing out that CACHE
by geek49203 / April 19, 2006 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Rebuilding

Thank you so much for the article on removing cache. While scripture states that one can be "destroyed for a lack of knowledge," it's amazing how our family and friends can become frustrated with their computers, by having a lack of knowing about simple steps for maintenance as you pointed out. I know people personally whose computers are SO old, that dust and spider webs have accumilated inside.

In kind, I will remember to refer back to your message, when I invest in my first Mac Mini. Until then take care and make it a great day.

Collapse -
Clearing out the cobwebs etc.
by taboma / April 23, 2006 12:40 PM PDT

You are correct. It is difficult to remember about clearing cache. Let alone old cookies. What? You forgot about all those needless cookies taking up space. How many years has it been?
Me too!
macminiman06, Sorry, I have to clean out my cookies right now. I hope I can remember the ones I want to keep.
Also cache while thinking about it.
I am not really good at this, trying to explain it and how to do it.

Wonder if Pete has any help here?

-Kevin

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!