HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

word - excel will not save

by slant6forever / June 20, 2012 12:53 PM PDT

Running XP Home edition, version 2002 SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 530, Intel Core 2 dual CPU, E4600 @2.40ghz, 2.39 GHz, 2.99 GB of Ram

Running Office Professional 2010, which I just installed hoping to fix this problem - which is, whenever I try to save a word document or an excel file, the system hangs up and I get the "not responding" line in the upper left corner of the screen. When I close, It asks for an error report and then reopens whatever I was just working in. And of course, if I try to do anything, it hangs up again.

Very frustrating as this is my daughters computer which she uses for school. Kind of a pain to do a lot of work and then not be able to save it.

It was doing it before when I had Office Pro Edition 2003 installed. I thought putting office 2010 on would fix the problem, but I guess not.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: word - excel will not save
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: word - excel will not save
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try something simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 1:31 PM PDT

Create a new user account and log into that new user. Open word, type a simple word and try to save it IN THE DEFAULT FOLDER it chooses.
Bob

Collapse -
Try sfc /scannow
by KenHusveg / June 20, 2012 1:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
scannow command
by slant6forever / June 21, 2012 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Try sfc /scannow

I might try this when I get home. The article tells what it does, but it doesn't tell me how to run it?

Don't want to do this one by trial and error!

Thanks,

Vic

Collapse -
I checked the article and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: scannow command

did find that missing.

But just like any command you open the command line (usually start, run) then type in the command as noted.

And let's not limit ourselves here. There's always google to learn more.
Bob

Collapse -
For future reference
by Jimmy Greystone / June 21, 2012 12:45 AM PDT

For future reference, if you have a problem like the one you described, then upgrading to a newer version of software is far more likely to make the situation WORSE than better.

Collapse -
no success
by slant6forever / August 7, 2012 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: For future reference

I've tried all the above suggustions. Still won't save. Just enters a "no responce" loop.

Collapse -
I see I forgot a common issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2012 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: no success

There is a SP3 for Office 2003. Is that installed?

And to be clear, you have tried the usual new account?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.