Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Word document grows when formatting text

by 7sinewave32 / March 5, 2009 11:58 AM PST

I have a single page word document with some text and 2 tables.
The font is mostly "Times new Roman" with various font sizes.
The heading (part of the main body) is "Edwardian Script ITC".

My problem is that when I change a font size or formatting in either of the tables, then all the text in the whole document changes. I then "undo" and only the selected text is changed and all the other text returns to what it was before.

After doing this a number of times the saved document size grew to over 70MB!

I then opened a new (blank) document, copied everything from the huge document, and pasted into the blank document. The new saved size was 46KB.

After doing the formatting once in the new document, the saved size grows from 46KB to 96KB.

Can anyone assist with what is happening and how to "fix" it?

System information:
XP Professional Version 2002, SP3
MS Office Word 2003 (11.8237.8221) SP3
Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system.
All SW updates have been done up till yesterday (March 5, 2009).

I suspect the compatibilty pack may be the cause, but can anyone verify and/or explain this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Word document grows when formatting text
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Word document grows when formatting text
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not to duplicate the old complaint.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 11:01 PM PST

I will not write about why or such and Word and Microsoft. Let me share what I do to clean up such a document.

Remember I am not going to enter into a discussion about why. Just the solution I use.

-> I save my document as a RTF. Then I open the RTF and save it in the version of .DOC I need.
Bob

Collapse -
Not really a solution - but thanks
by 7sinewave32 / March 20, 2009 3:33 PM PDT

Thanks for your input Bob, but it is not really a solution for me.
When that happens on many documents and I have to save and resave each one then it becomes a bit tedious and time consuming.
I was hoping for a "global" solution; something like a configuration setting or something.
Maybe this question could be moved to "Computer help" for more opinions - what do you think?

Collapse -
The problem is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2009 10:03 PM PDT

Opinions will not change how Word works. I offered how I fix the doc bloat but there are some that want to discuss Microsoft. That doesn't help at all.

Here's an idea. Did you research "Reducing metadata in Word?" It's an area that some don't know about. I don't know your level of expertise so I may upset some as I get too technical or not want to discuss Microsoft (the company or issues about them.)

I think our Computer Help forum is great, one of the best but here you have Kees and little old programmer, electronics designer Bob.

And in parting, why must you use Word? Won't .TXT files do if file size must be controlled?
Bob

Collapse -
Closing comment
by 7sinewave32 / March 21, 2009 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: The problem is.

I have looked at the "metadata" comments. That is not my problem.
Turning off "Automatically update" on some of the styles in my document reduces the growing problem dramatically.
I agree it is subjective and futile to continue discussion here, so if anyone would like to pursue the issue, then PM me and we can continue "off line".

Collapse -
Closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2009 2:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Closing comment

Try http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1722372,00.asp and keep researching as WORD FILE SIZE on google nets far too many great ideas. I tend to let a member tell enough detail so I can narrow it down. But with generic issues and no deep detail or story I'll resort to what I do to fix an issue and never discuss a company unless it would explain or cure the issue.

Hope that helps, that registry edit may or may not apply. The details of the document are not revealed so it's just something high on the list.
Bob

Collapse -
Docx Solution
by mark.moonen / May 21, 2009 11:33 PM PDT

Hello,

I have been confronted with this enormously frustrating problem myself a couple of times. At work we use Word 2003, and I have seen nicely edited Word-documents grow without boundaries. The copy-paste approach is in such cases very time consuming, because not all formating is copied with it, so you have to redo that each time.

However, I have found out that there exists a rapid solution for me. Save the document under the "docx" format. Close everything, reopen, and save again under the "doc" format.

I don't know if you have to apply an update of some sort to be able to save under the "docx" format (IT department handles all that stuff here), but perhaps it is also a solution for you.

Greetz

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?