Better go searching for a better copy of the file than this .txt one filled with question marks. Things to try in Windows Explorer:
- search for the filename with an extension of * (like mydoc.* if it's called mydoc)
- search for files with a create date/time the day you saved it or the day before
- search for a backup copy in the same folder (if you have set Words option to save a backup copy; it's in Tools>Options)
Other things to try:
- what happens if you click on the shortcut?
- can you open the file from the Most Recently Used list in Word (in the File-menu)?
- make a copy of the .txt file and rename it to .doc or .rtf and try to open it.
TMF, by the way, is unlikely (it's a "Wordperfect Tagged Font Metafile").
If everything fails, you've learned a very hard lesson on the need to backup data you're working on and don't want to lose if anything happens with it. Just copy it to a USB-stick every day and you lose 12 hours work at most. Also it could be useful to save it to a different name sometimes (like mydoc_July3_2007.doc) and safely store that.
Best of luck finding it.
My notebook is in windows 2007. A reminder came up when I was trying to save my document typed on the base of an old version. I had to change the name of the file. Normally the document is saved and can openn again. But this time it turned up as TMF (?). I could not find the file anymore as it is saved by the computer as shortcut. A rescued document was found but in TXT and I cannot read it since it was all question marks. I am desperate to get my file back since I have beeing working 12 hours everyday on it. It is my life. Can anyone please help. Many thanks