Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

WORD Compatibility

by Tosca / April 20, 2007 6:46 AM PDT

Hello,

I need to know if a document created under WORD 2000 would be fully compatible - useable/readable/printable - under the most recent versions of WORD. Can you advise?

Thanks --
Tosca

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WORD Compatibility
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WORD Compatibility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2007 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: WORD Compatibility

There are quirks but mostly it's good enough that millions send in a Word 2000 doc to newer versions without too much trouble.

There are "print" issues even with Word 2000 at home and work. Just to clarify why. I don't have the same printer at home so the pagination differs so paragraphs break differently and some might find that annoying.

Bob

Collapse -
Remember it's a Document, not a TypeSetting program.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2007 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: No.

I think you may be using the wrong program. Word is a "document" editing program and does not set type. If you look at type setting programs then all the type, graphics and more hold their style and position from machine to machine.

Word is not a type setting program but a document editing program. The difference is subtle but is a major pain for those that deal with books and more.

Bob

Collapse -
In practice: yes.
by Kees Bakker / April 20, 2007 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: WORD Compatibility

Until proven otherwise in a specific case, that's essential for you.

Kees

Collapse -
Compatibility cont.
by Tosca / April 20, 2007 3:39 PM PDT
In reply to: In practice: yes.

Thanks Bob - I was afraid something to that affect would be the reply. Thing is, as a writer, printing "quirks" are important, sometimes very important, for me. Since I work with 2 different printers now and likely always will, I suppose I'll just have to adjust everytime I switch printers and/or wps. I'm hoping, of course, to keep such adjustments to a minimum.

And Kees, I didn't quite understand your comment - you're always such a good advisor, would you mind re-stating?

Tosca

Collapse -
Clarification.
by Kees Bakker / April 21, 2007 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Compatibility cont.

Tosca,

I meant to say that - in practice - most if not all of the text (including tables and formatting) will be the same in an higher version of Word. I never have any problems reading Word XP documents in Word 2000 (or vice versa) nor with reading Word documents my students send me (and a lot will be using Word 2003 by now) in my Word 2000.

Different printers, different printer drivers, different OS'es, different versions of fonts may result in minor changes in the lay-out, like a last line of a page going to the next page, or maybe pictures moving a little bit around. But those changes would result also when using the exact same version of Word.

When sending a Word document for editing, those changes generally aren't important. When sending it for reading only, it's better to send it as a pdf-file. A pdf-file looks the same everywhere (and it's smaller, generally).

My students have to deliver the final versions of their documents in print, so they and they alone are responsible for how it looks. And sometimes that goes wrong: printing complex figures on a laser printer with not enough memory results in a corrupted print (better use inkjet then).
For drafts I don't mind the details.

So it depends on what the receiver does with the document.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
WORD --
by Tosca / April 21, 2007 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification.

Thanks Kees - As I suspected - it's even reasonable -- Tosca

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?