Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Word and Outlook 2003 crashes when pasting data

I have a regular problem of Word and Outlook 2003 crashing when pasting data (from another Word doc or from Word to Word). Both versions are SP1 with the latest updates.

This happens when you would not expect it: cutting and pasting from one Word doc to another or into Outlook (using Word as the editor.)

When I sent the crash report, I got an acknowledgement from MS that it is a problem, but I don't remember the details of the report; now, the reports are not given.

I have the same Office products at home and never have had a crash (or rarely, if I did.)

Does anyone know what is going on?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Word and Outlook 2003 crashes when pasting data
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Word and Outlook 2003 crashes when pasting data
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MS knows the issue.

In reply to: Word and Outlook 2003 crashes when pasting data

I see a lot of discussion about it.

Are you an ICQ user?

Bob

Collapse -
In reply to: MS knows the issue.

No, but I could probably learn. What resources are available?

Collapse -
It was a noted interraction with ICQ.

In reply to: ICQ

Since you don't have it, that's not the issue.

However, it's one of 2 things.

1. A bug that Microsoft needs to fix. It happens most often with formatted text pastes. Example: from web content or email to Word. It never happens with plain text pasted. Example: From NOTEPAD to Word.

I have no cure for it. We wait for Microsoft.

2. Spyware. Is your machine clear according to the automatic analyzer at http://www.help2go.com/modules.php?name=HJTDetective and HOUSECALL?

Bob

Collapse -
MS Message

In reply to: It was a noted interraction with ICQ.

I don't fit under either, but I did get the error message after my last crash a few moments ago:
Microsoft Office Word 2003 encountered an error: Microsoft is working on a solution

Thank you for taking the time to submit an error report to Microsoft. The information you sent to us helps make our customers' computing experience better.

Description

Microsoft has determined the cause is related to Microsoft Office Word 2003. We are working as quickly as possible to make a solution available to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

What to expect

You might see a repeat of this problem until the solution is released. Please continue to send us feedback through continuous improvement technologies such as error reports. The information we receive through error reporting helps us find solutions to problems you may experience. Additionally, if you report the problem again and a solution is available, you will see an updated message and information about the solution to help you immediately take action.

We also recommend that you periodically go to the Office Update website. This will help to ensure that your computer stays updated with the latest Microsoft Office

Collapse -
That tells it all.

In reply to: MS Message

Till then, be safe and keep your backups of what you can't lose up to date.

Bob

Collapse -
I have used the MS Word "fix" for several months now, no fix

In reply to: That tells it all.

I have used the MS Word "fix" for several months now, but the patch was no fix: Word crashes almost every time when I paste formatted text into Outlook or Word.

The thing that bothers me is that it has never happened on my home PCs using Office 2003 (same SP version.)

QUESTION: When I mess up my license (my employer's group license, I think) if I install my CD over the existing copy at work?

Collapse -
Check with your IT but yes...

In reply to: I have used the MS Word "fix" for several months now, no fix

Installing over the top can be unpredictable. I never know till I try.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.