Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

word

by hartlanders / April 2, 2007 5:08 AM PDT

I have windows 98se.i have microsoft works,but i need
microsoft word.i have a plugin file that requires word.
can i get just word installed,if so where can i get it?
Thanks for any help,Edward

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: word
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: word
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you need MS Word ..
by Kees Bakker / April 2, 2007 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: word

(and we only have your opinion on that) you have to buy it. First find out what version you prefer (97, 2000, XP, 2003, 2007). Then buy the CD. Any software shop will be able to sell you the last twom but alas they require Windows XP and you have Windows 98. For the first 3 better try eBay or a site like that.

If you buy second hand, the license requires that the original owner has uninstalled it and not even used it as a base for an upgrade to a later version. If it's an OEM version he may not even sell it apart from the computer.

Are you sure you need MS Word, and that Open Office Writer wouldn't be sufficient?

Kees

Collapse -
re:word
by hartlanders / April 12, 2007 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: If you need MS Word ..

I juat installed abiword.The flash drive was installed using microsoft word.When the drive was plugged in only one part of
info.showed,this was using abiword.not sure if because it is
a usb problem or do we need microsoft word.
Thanks for any help,Edward

Collapse -
Re: if it's only about showing the contents ...
by Kees Bakker / April 12, 2007 5:42 PM PDT
In reply to: re:word

you don't need Word, you only need Microsofts free Word viewer. If it's about editing, free OpenOffice might work also.

Maybe better explain your needs to get a better advice? "I have a plugin file that requires Word" isn't a satisfactory definition of your requirements.

And "a flash drive was installed using MS Word" isn't clear to me either. Personally, I never use MS Word to install a drive. And if I plug in a flash drive, all I get is a popup asking what Windows should do with the contents, I never get the contents of a Word document popping up automatically, as Abiword seems to do. If it really does, I don't like Abiword, but I assume you forgot to describe a few steps.

Please tell the full story. And after you've written it down, don't post it immediately, but reread it one hour later to see if it's contains all the details. The most important thing: what's the goal of what you want and why do you need to do it.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?