Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Word 2010 Co-authoring with SkyDrive

by louietyj / May 14, 2011 12:12 AM PDT

I created a document with gibberish text and uploaded it to the "Public" folder of my SkyDrive account, then set the privacy settings of the folder to allow friends to edit. I then gave my friend a link to that file. He clicked "Open in Word" and it opened in Word, with the save icon replaced by a refresh icon for co-authoring. I clicked "Open in Word", and it said "File is locked for editing by (...)".

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Word 2010 Co-authoring with SkyDrive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Word 2010 Co-authoring with SkyDrive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This link adds a few more steps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2011 8:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
Oh, yeah I tried that too.
by louietyj / May 14, 2011 4:50 PM PDT

It didn't work, Word gave me the same error message.

Collapse -
Country?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2011 1:32 AM PDT

I tripped over a nugget where such things can be country specific. Only Microsoft may know if you tripped over this.

Sadly I think all this is a marketing attempt to sell more Microsoft Servers. That is, they demo this stuff then once the demo is over or someone finds an EXPLOIT they (MSFT) back pedal, fix the exploit by turning off this or that. Again, you've done the usual and it failed. Next call is to MSFT.

Then again, if anyone installed firewalls or have that new firewall in the router enabled, I bet that could interfere.
Bob

Collapse -
Substantiation?
by louietyj / May 15, 2011 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Country?

I would like to see your source for this information. The claim is quite extraordinary and I think it would be reasonable to see your evidence before taking your word for it.

Collapse -
It appears.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2011 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Substantiation?

It appears you haven't worked with Microsoft very long. My long road from shaking hands with the very man when he was promoting MS DOS 3.x to today and how MSFT has positioned product after product to steer companies into installing Windows Server along with bugs that had MSFT silently kill a feature is partially why I wrote that reply.

Another job in another country found features disabled due to export laws which was only surprising to those that never encounter such.

It's up to MSFT to solve at this time but I fear it's that same old ploy to sell you a server. Then again you could have some non-stock thing or firewall. I've lost count of the times I found that. Today is different. That is, why would we expect users to become networking gurus?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?