Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Word 2003 shuts down when maximizing from taskbar

Hi, i've got a strange re-occuring problem where my Word 2003 (installed on xp) shuts down completely sometimes when i maximise a document from the taskbar. It's not a problem with the same document, it happens with any. It doesn't happen all the time though. Its usually when maximizing after being on another program. The process seems to completely shut down. Any opened word documents dissapear. When i restart word i get the recovery files if i'm lucky.
I've tried the Detect & Repair tool but it hasn't solved anything. There are no error messages and nothing is shown on the Event Viewer.
Just of interest, i can 'force' the shutdown if i continuously minimize and maximise a word document and flicking to other programs and back again. then if the word document is minimized while i'm on anothe program, as soon as i flick back to word, i see the window breafly opening up, then it dissapears. I don't know if that would reveal anything.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Luke

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Word 2003 shuts down when maximizing from taskbar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Word 2003 shuts down when maximizing from taskbar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I fixed one like that.

In reply to: Word 2003 shuts down when maximizing from taskbar

It turned out to be the video card driver.

Bob

Collapse -
Can you give more details on how to fix this

In reply to: I fixed one like that.

Can you give more details on this? I'm having the same problem and it's really annoying.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Caused by conflict with the Handwriting Recognition service

In reply to: Can you give more details on how to fix this

It seems this problem is known by Microsoft and it is documented on their knowledge base. Despite this, it took me quite a while to find this, but once i did what they instructed, it sorted out the problem entirely. Basically, it is caused by a conflict with the Handwiting Recognition service, so you need to remove this, although i believe that if you need the service, you can re-enable it afterwards with no further problems, although i have not tried this.
The link to the method to solve this is:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555169

Hope this helps

Luke

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Caused by conflict with the Handwriting Recognition service

Thanks a lot. I seems to work now.

Bistra

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.