HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Word 2003 ?

by katiebug57 / October 9, 2007 2:56 AM PDT

Windows XP, home edition; office 2003; plenty of hard drive

When I was saving something in Office, I hit some sort of key (I don't know which one, of course), and the "List" of documents I saved changed and opens as a whole page. It is irritating, and even more so because I don't know what I did and how I can change it back.

I have gone in and out of the saving mode, but to no avail. BTW, the whole page only applies to the page of "save as".

Anyone?

Katie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Word 2003 ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Word 2003 ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can't quite picture this.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 9, 2007 8:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Word 2003 ?

I understand about the, "I don't know which one of course". How many times I have done that myself, Happy

But I am having difficulty picturing the problem. You have Word 2003 word processor open, and want to save it. You goto File > Save As?

If so, then the Save As dialog window opens. You then hit a wrong key and what happens then? Does the shape or size of this dialog window change? Or do the contents of the window change?

What opens as a whole page? Perhaps a screen print would help, and post it to ImageShack or something similar and post the url web address for the image back here.

Sorry to be so vague.

Mark

Collapse -
Further clarification
by katiebug57 / October 10, 2007 12:41 AM PDT

Mike

Sorry I wasn't clearer. When I open "save as" the size of the "save as" window opens to encompass the whole screen. The "save as" window contents do not change.

Don't know why it opens as a whole page, filling the screen. Doesn't do that in other Word functions, like Excel. It is like the screen is maximized, but there is no button in the top right corner to minimize.

Katie

Collapse -
Ahh, I see.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 10, 2007 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Further clarification

Now that is strange.

Can you see the bottom right hand corner of this Save As window? It should have a triangle of dots pointing outwards to the corner. If so, can you drag the window into a smaller shape?

Or is that drag option not available?

Mark

Collapse -
I wish...
by katiebug57 / October 10, 2007 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahh, I see.

Already checked for arrows, etc. in the corners. Even if I put my cursor on the top menu bar (there is no menu), it won't drag. The bottom will drag up, but it simply moves my bottom menu bar up (the one with "start" etc. on it).

Any other suggestions?

Katie

Collapse -
I'm stumped.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 10, 2007 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: I wish...

This surely isn't a feature of any Save As dialog window and I can't find any reference to it in Google. But then, choosing the right words to search is tricky with this.

I've used, Save As defaults to full screen, Microsoft Word Save As full screen, Word Save As defaults to full screen, and quite a few combinations.

I only have three suggestions, and even there the 1st is one I don't expect to work.

1] Find all of Word's Normal.dot files and delete them all. Normal.dot is Word's Template where document styles and settings are stored. Often the template gets corrupted and this can cause strange effects in documents. If you use your Start menu > Search to find all the Normal.dot files and delete them, then start Word, it will re-create the default template.

2] In Word, goto Help > Detect and repair. There may be a corruption in the Word application that this might be able to fix. You will need your Office CD for this.

3] Uninstall Word through the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs utility. Again you will be asked for the Office CD. Then re-install Word.

With the 3rd option you won't lose any documents as long as they are not saved in any Word or Office folders. I would remove the CD then reboot the computer after uninstalling Word before re-installing.

Option 1 is the easiest to try, but I am not hopeful. However perhaps options 2 or 3 will solve the problem.

Perhaps others here will have heard of this before.

Mark

Collapse -
Called Microsoft...
by katiebug57 / October 10, 2007 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm stumped.

I've never done that before, but the "save as" window was bugging the heck out of me. I had to go three levels in before someone could help, and even then I had to give him access to my computer.

The window was indeed maximized. All I had to do was double slick on the top bar, and voile! it went to the normal size.

Easy when you know the answer, isn't it?

Katie

Collapse -
Excellent
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 10, 2007 6:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Called Microsoft...

That's good Katie.

I would never have thought of double clicking the top bar, and yet perhaps I should. We can all do this with most header bars, but I suppose we become used to seeing the 3 options in the top right hand corner of any window.

Well done for sorting it out.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks
by katiebug57 / October 11, 2007 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Excellent

I never, in my wildest dreams, would have realized the solution was so simple. I used up my one free phone call to Microsoft, but that's okay--this thing would have really bugged me (as it did until I broke down and called Microsoft!).

Thanks for your help.

Katie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.