General discussion

Word 2000 Tool & Menu Bar Disappeared

In Word 2000 (SP-1?) Window ME:

The tool & menu bar have both completely disappeared from Word. It appears to be a Full Screen view but with a ruler bar.

Using HELP, I have managed to see a list of available toolbars and there are only 3! I do not recall what they are (Autotext was one) & I am currently at another location- would it be important?

I have deleted Normal.dot and reopened-- and re-installed (with repair) Office-- all to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Word 2000 Tool & Menu Bar Disappeared
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Word 2000 Tool & Menu Bar Disappeared
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
UPDATE

A full blown remove and re-install has been done to Office, again to no avail.

Please advise.

- Collapse -
Fuller blown uninstall ...
- Collapse -
Doesn't Work with Window ME

Thanks, anyway.

Very curious situation. Is it possible that Word has a Tool Bar file much like Excel (I think it was a .xlb file)? If so, perhaps this was corrupted somehow?

But why this would not be corrected with a re-install is also curious

- Collapse -

Dear Poorgrunt,

-Have you tried the "View">"Toolbars" option?
-Is it selected, and just missing? If so, are you sure it's not just somewhere else on the screen? A common mistake is sometimes people accidentally move the bar up a line, and it shifts to a place along with another tool bar.

-Are you sure you've done a COMPLETE remove? Some settings are saved elsewhere, so when you reinstalled it, it could have remembered the toolbar layout settings from the previous installation.

Keep us posted.

-AInTeL

- Collapse -
No View

There is no "View>Toolbars" Option to select. There is nothing. It is as if I am in Full View Mode (which I am not).

I used F1 (HELP) and from there was able to view Tool>Customize and was shocked to see only 3 choices for the tool bars- not one that I could use.

It occurred to me to work around and just build a "customized" tool bar but a complete effort would be daunting and I still would be withou a Menu Bar.

Any advise would be helpful and thank you for your input.

- Collapse -

Dear Poorgrunt,

I'm sorry I didn't realize that's the toolbar that was missing.

Try pressing "alt", or "alt+v". If that doesn't work, then try right-clicking on any other toolbar that you have. A menu should pop-up with toolbar options.

If you have no other toolbars whatsoever... I really can't think of what to tell you.

Hope this helps, and I'm sorry,
-AInTeL

- Collapse -
I have the same problem

It is sad but I have the same problem, did you get an answer?

- Collapse -
Here's the fix

Close Word 2000
Go to start --> run
Type "winword.exe /a" (make sure there's a space between e and /)
Open Word reconfirm or change your username and initials and the tool bars a back
Close word and reopen-- everything is back to the way it was before the problem happened!

Hope that helps...

CNET Forums

Forum Info