General discussion

word 2000 not accessible to all users in win xp

I installed office 2000 in winxp home , did the necessary updates , but only the administrator and one other user are able to use Word.I would like to give users (limited access) without giving them admin privileges.

When one of these users try to use Word , the office installation routine starts , asking for the installation media......error 1706 and Word will not start.At first Word would start up only for admin so i uninstalled , reinstalled in the shared folder and could gain access for one user , the one whose name i included during the installation (no admin privileges).

I am using winXP home edition french ,servicepack2.thank you for the help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: word 2000 not accessible to all users in win xp
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: word 2000 not accessible to all users in win xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try ...

I have not verified this method but it was what I did for Windows 2000 and NT 4.

Move the user into the admin group, run word, then move them back out to let Office do its needed install.

Bob

- Collapse -
it worked beautifully.......

so easy , thanks a million bob , and you too edward...i will have to remember that one Wink nuttron

- Collapse -
Installing for all users...

is easy from a network share but if installing on a machine with multiple users by CD I too used to use Bob's method.

I have also install it as Admin, then do again for another NEW user, then copied that new user profile to the default user profile then deleted that NEW user, at which point everyone now gets access to Office.

AFTER "moving up in the world" and beyond Office 2K I have been informed by multiple people that the easiest way is simply to install Office 2K as an admin, then still as that admin, setup an Outlook account and either choose to register or not register the application. The process of setting up the first Outlook account can only be done by an admin level account. Once thats done, then Office 2K is available to all users.

I myself never tried the last so I can't say definitely that it works, and I'd try it myself but I no longer have any copies of Office 2K. Wouldn't take ling to try it though.

CNET Forums

Forum Info