General discussion

WOoo...how's your school district budget

Local school districts here(I'm sure, elsewhere) are fighting just to get typical maint. and basic needs passed via levies. Many times, locals simply refer to the economy and don't pass them or really bite the bullet and do, it's a real touchy subject. Now here is a H.S, in Allen, Tx. that seems to forgo all that and say, we got money and willing to pay for a new stadium on par with college level. NOw, I like to see in 20-30yrs. how their local citizens feel about supporting a crumbling stadium as costs to maintain it or the education system may fight for funds. -----Willy Happy

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1074494

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: WOoo...how's your school district budget
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: WOoo...how's your school district budget
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
60 million stadium for a high school??

My HS had a cinder track if anyone remembers those and it was a big deal to approve the rubberized asphalt type when cinders became scarce. I can't imagine running hurdles on a cinder track and landing on your knees. Ouch!! Happy

- Collapse -
Not just for the school

For the community too. Schools have traditionally been a center point of any community. Forced busing nearly destroyed that in many areas however.

- Collapse -
A proposal has been made

.... to cut the hours of school bus drivers to 7 from 8. and to outsource janitorial and groundskeeping services to private concerns.

Of course, those impacted are very upset. From my observation from having had a school bus driver next door, the bus sat in the driveway for a large portion of the day. I realize and appreciate the responsibility they have to transport children safely. It appears that the outsourced services will cost those their jobs.

Our local schools have also suffered from a lack of good leadership, IMO. However, the new head man seems to have his finger on the pulse, and has pinpointed the weaknesses.
There have been complaints of "top heaviness".

Personally, I have wondered if all of those in the administrative jobs are crucial.

This is a no-state-income tax one, so the education department being strapped for cash due to decreased sales tax revenues filters down to the local districts.

Along with Rhode Island, TN was awarded a government grant for education. There will be other states that can compete for this, as well.

There are hard choices to make, ans some will suffer.

Angeline

- Collapse -
They have towns and villages and a city in this area.

This means that each entity has it's own police dept, fire dept, clerks, courts, schools, etc. Whenever anyone suggests they consolidate services, the population (not to mention the workers) complains that they like having their own.

I remember when we first moved here, we lived near Bridgeport (with a Bridgeport phone number), had a Kirkville address, lived in the town of Manlius and were in the North Syracuse (which is a village) school district. BTW we also lived in the Cicero swamp.

In California we had cities and the county - no other divisions.

Diana

- Collapse -
This whole county

.... went to "Metropolitan Government{: in the 160s. The "city" services were added slowly over time.

I live outside of the "city" limits, and now have all of the services except garbage pickup, street lights, sidewalks.

There are 2 little cities that still have remained independent, except one is calling for a vote to join in Metro. Those cities have to pay Metro for fire department services. water and sewer. One has its own police department.

I actually do not know how taxation works for them as they work in Metro, dive the streets , their children attend Metro schools, etc.

Angeline

CNET Forums

Forum Info