Computer Help forum

General discussion

wont restart or even start a lot of the time

by fsh4 / February 8, 2006 7:32 AM PST

dell inspiron 5100, windows xp. bought new in june 2003.
my computer started having issues a couple of weeks ago. since then it has turned on a total of 2 times. (i have gotten safe mode to work a lot of the time, but can never seem to fix the problem) even before that it wouldnt restart. i would have to let it "cool down" or something before it would restart properly.
i hadnt installed any new programs or anything that i can think of.
i've been doing everything i can to try to figure out the problem and fix it. i tried many restore points, defraged, and even re-installed windows. nothing has worked so far.
today i was in safe mode and when i went to the control panel: system preferences: hardware i got a message that said something about an exception in "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"c:\WINDOWS\System32\sysdm.cpl",System"
i dont know if that has to do with any of the other problems i am having or what.
also, even before this happened, whenever the monitor would turn off (such as in standby or hibernate modes) it would never come back on, and i couldnt do anything except turn off my computer by holding the power button and restarting it twice. (the first time the monitor still wouldnt be on so i had to hold down the power button again to restart it)
any help with any of this??
i am at my wits end over this!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wont restart or even start a lot of the time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wont restart or even start a lot of the time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fsh, Have You Tried??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 8, 2006 8:39 AM PST

It sounds like a hardware issue ...

First, take the cover off the tower and blow out all the dust and junk from inside. Make sure all fans are running and clean. Also check to see if any of the capicitors are bulging or leaking on the motherboard. If they are, then the motherboard is toast and needs to be replaced.

Once that's done, leaving the cover off the tower, aim a housefan at the inards and run the machine with the fan cooling things off.

Have you scanned the machine with antivirus AND antispyware tools? If so, which ones?

Have you tried running "Error Checking/Chkdsk"? If not, restart into Safe Mode, if possible, then follow the instructions in the link below:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

If you can restart into Safe Mode, please try the steps in the links below to eliminate unnecessary start up programs which cause conflicts.

For Windows 2000/XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" and the "Performance tab" in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

Because the links for the "Services" are no longer functioning in the link above, use this one:

Services Guide For Windows XP

If that doesn't help, then a lot of troubleshooting is in order..The power supply may need replacement, motherboard, processor, etc. If you don't have the tools to this type of troubleshooting, you may want to take it to a reputable repair person..Or if the only reason you want the computer running is to retrieve files because you didn't make backups, then you might be able to use another computer to install your current hard drive as a "slave" or such. A USB hard drive enclosure would also allow you to remove you current drive, place it in an enclosure and read the data on another comp.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
getting better?
by fsh4 / February 9, 2006 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: Fsh, Have You Tried??

i've cleaned out the inside of the computer and run several spyware programs at various times recently: spybot, pest patrol, adaware, and most recently, spysweeper. i also ran some registry repair programs, just to see what they would find. i do not know about antivirus programs...i have zone alarm antivirus. are there any others that i should try?
i tried running error checking/chkdsk and that helped some. i also tried disabling some start up programs.

so, where i am at now is that i get a blue screen that says ''IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL'' and suggests i should try disabling the BIOS memory options caching and shadowing. I couldnt find out how to do that as of yet... at least its not constantly restarting itself before it gets anywhere anymore, so that is an improvement.

Collapse -
Fsh, The EXACT & Full Error Message Is Needed
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 9, 2006 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: getting better?

The "IRQL" error can be related to a number of issues, including the links below, but we'll need the full error to do much more.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Kbdclass.sys" Error Message When You Try to Shut Down the Computer

Irql_Not_Less_or_Equal" Error Message During Windows XP Upgrade

One more point..Don't just shut down "some" of those background programs. Shut down EVERYTHING THAT ISN'T NECESSARY. I'm still guessing it's a heat related issue..

Another possibility for that error is a corrupted user profile..Have you tried logging in under a different user name, such as "administrator"? Does that fix the issue? If it does and the adminstrator log in works correctly, then you need to creat a new user name and profile and simply copy over your important files from the other profile and then delete it.

For the option to disable "BIOS memory options and caching", see the link below. After reading the question at the top of the page, scroll down to read the suggestions. Of course, you'll need to know how to access the BIOS/setup information using the appropriate setup key at boot. (F1, F2, F10, Del, or Esc are typical BIOS access keys which are pressed immediately after restart.):

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Desktops/Q_21343126.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
blue screen error message
by fsh4 / February 9, 2006 9:45 AM PST

it says:
a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

if this is the first time ... restart
if this message appears again follow these steps:

check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed...
if this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software maunfacturer for any windows updates you might need.
if problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. if you need to use safe mode... press f8 on startup...

technical info:
***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x80598818, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80598818)

Collapse -
disabled services and background start up programs, etc
by fsh4 / February 9, 2006 11:00 AM PST

ok, so i went through the services and the background start up programs and disabled/turned off a bunch of things, including everything in start up that wasnt necessary.

i am getting the error message on startup, before i can even log in, so i dont think that it has anything to do with my user profiles. i can log into them perfectly fine, but my computer wont even get to a log on screen or anything unless its in safe mode.

i also tried pressing f1, f2, etc right after start up, and esc got me to another screen but it only stayed up for about 2 seconds. i think i saw something about caching, and know i saw something about shadowing in there, but i dont remember much else.

thanks so much for all your help so far! its really helped a lot!!!

Collapse -
When You Acess The BIOS, The Display Will Stick
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 9, 2006 11:34 AM PST

At this point, it doesn't appear like you've correctly accessed the BIOS/CMOS setting. Some computers will actually tell you which F-key to press in order to gain the "setup" screen. Watch for the computer manufacturer's flash screen to load during the initial stages of startup, then beginning pressing the correct setup key, once per second, till the BIOS loads.

Once the BIOS loads, you won't have access to the mouse and you'll need to use the keyboard only to navigate through the various panels..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Its running HOT
by Dittoman1 / February 9, 2006 7:00 AM PST

I had the same problem, found dust inside laptop blocking cooling sys but the fan is clean, its one of the parts that I dont know what its called got the dust..IF Laptop, I would take it to comuputer tech and have me clean it for 30 bucks and SMILE..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?