Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

wondering if im secure

by Damian555 / October 31, 2009 9:52 PM PDT

Ok well I've been having issues with an online video game, so I tried putting my router in DMZ, and it worked, but the time that I had it enabled for like 10-20 minutes, I didn't have my firewall/antivirus on either. So I'm kinda paranoid that someone could've hacked into my computer and/or gotten any passwords for my online things. Should I be worried?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wondering if im secure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wondering if im secure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not enough detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2009 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: wondering if im secure

But with your basic security of no file or printer shares and a firewall it should be fine. But your post is without details so not much can be said if it is or is not ok.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok
by Damian555 / October 31, 2009 11:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Not enough detail.

I'm saying that for 10-20 minutes, I had my windows firewall and antivirus off, and all my routers ports were open, so as far as I know there was no protection for that time. I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about whether or not someone got into my computer and/or got any of my passwords that I use on the internet.

Collapse -
Bad idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2009 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok
Collapse -
by Damian555 / November 1, 2009 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad idea.

I know that it's not a good idea, I'm not doing that anymore, but I just want to know if whether or not someone got into my system is something I should worry about or if its highly unlikely and I should disregard it.

Collapse -
You can't know this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2009 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: .

I can't either. You are asking a question that will never find a sure answer.

All we can do is scan after the fact and see if any nasties got in. As to what was leaked, you can never be sure.
Bob

Collapse -
So...
by Damian555 / November 1, 2009 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: You can't know this.

I can't find out, but what do you think the chances are of someone accessing my computer for that time?

Collapse -
Its like this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2009 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: So...

You left your back pack at the library unattended. Did anyone look inside? You can't tell and no one saw a thing.

So do the scans and hope for the best.
Bob

Collapse -
umm
by Damian555 / November 1, 2009 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: Its like this.

I understand that I can't know if someone did, but I just want to know what the likelihood is, you know?

Collapse -
Even that would be a guess.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2009 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: umm

Do those scans and hope for the best.

Collapse -
Thats what I want
by Damian555 / November 1, 2009 5:32 AM PST

I'm looking for what you think would be the probability of someone getting into my system, are there many people doing that? Is it uncommon? Also, can that program really see if someone has hacked into my computer/internet?

Collapse -
Your story seems light.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2009 10:30 AM PST
In reply to: Thats what I want

While we know the guards were down you would have to reveal if file and printer sharing was enabled. If they were, the chances go up. If not the chances go down.

Next we are at post TWELVE and I can't see where you reveal what OS was in use. It matters as the old DOS Windows 3, 95, 98 and ME were not exploited like NT, 2000 and XP were out of the box.

Details matter. Remember these are discussion forums with no paid help, just volunteers so you get to make a good post.
Bob

Collapse -
Not sure how to check
by Damian555 / November 1, 2009 10:26 PM PST

File and printer sharing is enabled. I'm using windows xp.

Collapse -
Then the bets are more to "exploited."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2009 10:57 PM PST
In reply to: wondering if im secure

Without protection, a XP machine with file and printer sharing enabled can be exploited very quickly. So that pushes the guess more towards yes than no.

Hope the scans came out ok.
Bob

Collapse -
So
by Damian555 / November 2, 2009 1:20 AM PST

You really think it's likely that someone accessed my computer, even though I was only running a game at the time? Btw I don't really see how those programs could help me in finding out, from what I can see they just find spyware/viruses, and I don't think you need to put something on someone's computer to access it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Collapse -
Not to correct you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: So

But if you visit the Cnet Spyware Forum you may get other OPINIONS on this. The common trail is the attacker will immediately install some nasty to give them remote control or access for later use.

I'm unsure what more I can offer you. If you don't do the scans (see Grif's post) then that's your choice. It's like a diagnostic test after exposure. Why pass it up?

Collapse -
Ok
by Damian555 / November 2, 2009 2:43 AM PST
In reply to: Not to correct you.

If I were to do the scans, and I find nothing, should I just leave this alone? Also, for the game that requires me to open all my ports(developers havent said which ones are required, many people have this problem), from now on if I keep anitvirus/windows firewall on, if I open them, how safe would that be?

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: Ok

Disable file and print sharing. Disable the messenger service. Get your XP all patched up and you have now about a secure XP as there can be without a firewall.

Checklist for disables:

1. File, printer sharing.
2. Messenger.
3. Remote Desktop.
4. Any P2P apps.

And let's write again the Cnet's moderator oft quoted saying -> "We only lose what we don't backup."
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by Damian555 / November 2, 2009 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: Try this.

Alright but after scanning should I just leave the past behind me? Should I change any passwords? By messenger you mean, for example, windows live messenger?

Collapse -
Any messenger.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: thanks
Collapse -
So
by Damian555 / November 2, 2009 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: Any messenger.

Those messenger exploits would require me to click a link right? Or could I get attacked just being logged in.

Collapse -
It appears you don't want to do the homework?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 10:11 AM PST
In reply to: So

The messenger exploit was worse than expected. I can't offer much more.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!