HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Wondering if I should return New Hp with 64 bit system

by themcculleys / September 5, 2008 11:46 PM PDT

I bought a new hP computer, has a triple core processor,640GB hard drive and 4 g of memory.

My old computer died from overheating and i was running XP

I don't do games, only my 10 year old granddaughter does games and we mostly use word, paint and things like that.

Let me first say I do Love Vista, I thought I would hate leaving xp behind. However all of my games etc will NOT work on the 64 bit, I have hundreds of dollars in things that will support XP and most likely would work on the Vista 32 (didn't know this when I bought the computer). I have spent days picking up software that is not supported on 64bit and now I am thinking I should return this, pay a stocking fee and try to find a computer with Vista 32 on it. I don't need the high memory or hard drice, it just happened to be a computer that I thought i would like.

I even tried loading some things up but they won't even load up, otherwise I could try using the compability option that is on the computer (right click on game, compability...etc). Can't even get to that point because my items won't load. I had to buy a new Virus protection, new printer/scanner etc to make things work on this computer.

I am having buyers regret and sometime in the next few days I am going to Circuit City and see what I can do to "downgrade". If anyone has any thoughts please let me know. Please keep it simple, I am not computer savy to make changes in hard drive etc.

Thanks
one of the mcculleys!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wondering if I should return New Hp with 64 bit system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wondering if I should return New Hp with 64 bit system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Names those games/programs...
by John.Wilkinson / September 6, 2008 1:43 AM PDT

95% of those which run on Vista 32-bit edition will run on Vista 64-bit edition. However, many which run on Windows XP won't run on Vista at all. Thus, I suggest listing the names here to find out if returning the computer and purchasing one with Vista (32-bit) would resolve the problem. Also, be sure to provide the exact error message, if any...it's possible it's just a graphics card driver that needs updated for the games to run.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Name some names
by Jimmy Greystone / September 6, 2008 1:49 AM PDT

Name some names of programs here, because probably better than 99% of programs that will run on the 32-bit Vista will work just fine on Vista x64.

Given it's an HP system, and HP systems tend to be complete and total crap, I whole heartedly agree about taking the thing back and getting something else. Of course Circuit City really only tends to sell crap systems. HP, Compaq (made by HP), Gateway (now made by Acer), Acer, etc. While it's no custom build system, Best Buy at least carries a few Dell models. Far from perfect, but worlds better than HP or Acer made systems.

Still, without some names of programs to work with, we can't be sure whether it's a Vista x64 issue, or just a general "HP makes crap systems" issue.

Collapse -
I don't think it is a HP issue
by themcculleys / September 6, 2008 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Name some names

The window I get when I try to install, lets say Barbie, tells me it it can't be loaded.......don't remember the exact wording. I did however just get a Nancy Drew Mystery Game to load just fine because it said Vista compability on the box! It runs and plays fine. It appears to be older games that only have xp and I mean lower end kids games like Barbie and some really old things I had that were about 10 years old!

This computer runs like a dream machine compared to my first Dell and then the last computer (built from scratch up). My only issues seem to be finding things that we want that aren't yet available.

I had an avery label maker that would not load, not compatible with Vista. However a while ago I copied my first CD, made a lable using the program that came with the computer and it worked like a dream!

I will decide what to do over the weekend, but all thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Collapse -
Have you tried...
by glenn30 / September 6, 2008 2:11 AM PDT

installing the older programs using Vista's "Compatibility Mode"?

Best I recall you right click on the installer file and make the proper selection. If more is need you can Google for Vista compatibility mode and perhaps get better instructions.

Just a thought!

Glenn

Collapse -
keeping the computer!
by themcculleys / September 7, 2008 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Have you tried...

I finally got an old game that was not Vista compatible! I had to try install several times and finally got it so I could change the compatibliliy mode. It took some playing around with!

Can someone give me the "exact" steps to change the compatabiliy mode. I got the software to install and THEN I did the right mouse click on the program (Barbie) and went to the compatiblity mode and changed it to Xp and VIOLA it took. I am wondering if if I took the steps in the proper order??????????

Thanks, I decided to keep the new computer, it runs like a dream and I know what I have and now I have made 2 older games work on this baby.
Thanks to all
G

Collapse -
When I did this...
by glenn30 / September 7, 2008 11:12 PM PDT
In reply to: keeping the computer!

I right clicked on the installer file first where the Compatibility Mode was selected before actually installing the software. Looks like you did the opposite. Whatever works for you but I found it easy this way.

Glad you are keeping the computer... 64bit is the future!

Glenn

Collapse -
You should do both...
by John.Wilkinson / September 8, 2008 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: When I did this...

Right-click the installer (on the CD or wherever it's located), select Properties, choose the Compatibility tab, and set it for XP compatibility. Once installed, repeat with the executable for the game/application. Doing only one still leaves you with have the problem.

John

Collapse -
You should KEEP the pc
by netx5 / September 8, 2008 12:36 AM PDT

Try the compatibility mode:

"Windows Vista, like any new operating system, will have problems running some older versions of applications. This is especially true in Vista, considering all the changes. Thankfully there is a compatibility mode that can be easily set per application.

To configure the compatibility mode for an application, just locate the installation directory and right click on the .exe, selecting Properties from the menu."

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/

Or download Microsoft's Virtual PC:

"Save time and money as Virtual PC allows you to maintain the compatibility of legacy and custom applications during migration to new operating systems and increases the efficiency of support, development, and training staffs.

With Microsoft

Collapse -
still having problems with making an xp program work
by themcculleys / September 10, 2008 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: You should KEEP the pc

Ok, I think I need more help! I will give you and example of my problem with installed a typing program that is xp compatible
1. when I put the cd in the computer I get the following:
Install or run program
"run play. exe"

General options: open folder to view files

Now to get to the compability mode BEFORE it installs, can you tell me where I need to go. I only have these 2 options when ever I put any software I want to install.

On 2 other non windows software, is was able to change the compability mode after I installed it.

Am I missing something, if so please make is simple as I am not very computer savey.
Thanks so much

Oh one more question while I am still here, is it best to shut down the computer overnight or let it go into the sleep mode. I normally let is sleep but now I am wondering if it is best to just shut down!
Thanks
G

Collapse -
help with editing my previous post
by themcculleys / September 10, 2008 1:42 AM PDT

I did not mean to say "non windows", I meant to say NOT VISTA software compatable! I can't figure out how to edit my orginal post!

Collapse -
Quick points...
by John.Wilkinson / September 10, 2008 9:36 AM PDT

-> Close the box that pops up, open (My) Computer, right-click the optical drive icon, choose Explore (not Open), browse for the installer, wherever it may be located on the disc, right-click it, choose the Compatibility tab, set it for Windows XP, OK your way out, and launch the installer. Note you'll also have to enable compatibility mode in C:\Program Files for the program once it's installed.

-> That's a never-ending argument with both camps having legitimate reasoning and evidence to back up their claims. In truth it's not that big of deal and I generally just use Sleep Mode to minimize power usage while reducing boot time the next morning.

-> The Cnet forums do not support post editing due to misuse, which is why you could not find the option.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
thanks to all
by themcculleys / September 20, 2008 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Quick points...

Thanks to all of you for your help, it is greatly appreciated!
G

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.