Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

wondering about network security

by frankzxcv / February 28, 2007 11:22 PM PST

hello,

well now that I have successfully set up a home network between my desktop and laptop, I am wondering about security. I got a big warning in windows against making my c: drive sharable . . . but it's either that or drag 90% of the files to a sharable folder, on both machines. ugh. i have zone alarm running. I am the only person on the network. Any advice on security involved in making whole machine sharable on a private single person network? am i making it easy for a hacker to read my files? thanks - fj

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wondering about network security
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wondering about network security
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More information is needed.
by PudgyOne / February 28, 2007 11:45 PM PST

Before you posted the words in red were:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

We would need to know what type of network you are using. Wired or wireless.

If wireless then what type of router are you using?

If wireless, I'd turn on WPA security and pick a password with mixed numbers and letters. The longer the password, the harder it is for a person to hack into your router.

Since you said it's only your computers, you could also use Mac address as well.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
whoops sorry here it is
by frankzxcv / March 1, 2007 12:22 PM PST

ok, agian the quesion is do i have security worries,

I have wire from wall going to modem, modem goes to a router with phone, another cable goes from that router to a netgear wireless router. my main desktop is attached to this by wire, and i have wirelss to my laptop from it as well. i have a wepkey securing that wireless signal.

the desktop is win2k, home built . . .
laptop is hp 1000 series, running xp pro.

at the moment on network i have access to c drives on both machines. i am logging in without passwords on both machines. no one else has physical access to the machines unless they break in.

I am running free zone alarm and it seems to be working!

but again, i made all drives and folders and both machiens viewable and am wondering if that's dumb.

thanks - fj

Collapse -
Just remember that XP Home...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2007 12:16 AM PST

Has that sharing of the C drive disabled at it's core. Don't lose a lot of time trying to defeat that.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?