Peripherals forum

General discussion

Won't recognize scanner

I have a Canoscan LIDE 50 that my computer won't recognize now. It was hooked up and working fine but then a cable was accidently unplugged. Now, even though nothing changed on my system, it won't recognize the connection. It recognized that new hardware has been found but nothing beyond that. None of the original installation materials were removed. Unfortunately I can't find the disk now. I went to Canon and tried to install the drivers needed but it won't complete the download because it says it can't find my scanner port.

Any ideas what can be done about this or where the problem might be? I'd like to get it working again without having to buy a new one. It just seems weird that I get the message New Hardware Found but not when I tried to download the drivers.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Won't recognize scanner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Won't recognize scanner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You still have a chance

In reply to: Won't recognize scanner

First of all, i feel bad for you. I once lost my GRAPHICS CARDS drivers and had to wipe. that was not fun. keep all your drivers in a manila envelope. that's what i do. It has saved my LIFE a few times. Anyways, when it says found new hardware, click the buble and the wizard should show up. then browse for the drivers manualy if they are still installed. IF that doesn't work, call cannon and try to order it from them, since they are a decent company, they will probably actually be willing to send you the disk for five bucks or so.

Collapse -
Thank You

In reply to: You still have a chance

I did contact Canon by email and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'm beginning to wonder if the USB cable has something to do with it. The scanner would turn on anytime I turned the pc on and off. It's not doing that now. So maybe it is that. I checked my drivers and found nothing related to the scanner. I'll wait to hear back from them. It's a nice little scanner and I'd hate to have to replace it.

Thanks for responding to my question. I appreciate it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.