Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

won't reboot after new motherboard

I've installed a new motherboard- SIS760A Mainboard. AMD Athlon 64fx and Sempron Socket 754.When a friend inslalled an additional hard drive a few months ago, I've had to boot the computer from a hirm boot cd. This cd has mini windows included.

I was told that when I install the new motherboard I should be able to access the hiram boot cd/ mini windows.. then back up all my files on to one hard drive, then disconnect the hard drive. Then, install windows and format the other hard drive.

The problem is, when I boot the computer, it goes into a loop de loop.. it goes to the screen that that allows me to choose "start normally", "safe mode" or "Safe mode with commands". I've tried all of these to no avail. just a loop de loop... I have a friend coming over tomorrow, but will try to remedy this now if you can help. I have all my programs on discs, but don't want to loose years of files.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: won't reboot after new motherboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: won't reboot after new motherboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It seems that you might want to consider

In reply to: won't reboot after new motherboard

Collapse -
Frankly?

Remove the old hard drive and install a new hard drive. That's 50 bucks at geeks.com for a 500GB drive. Install your Windows, drivers and when you're ready power down and add your old drive to get at your files.
Bob

Collapse -
I concur with Bob, BUT ...

from your description of your problem it actually appears to simply be that you HAVE NOT set your optical drive (the one with the hiram's boot CD) as your first bootable device in your BIOS - try doing so.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!