General discussion

Won't log off.

I have a laptop running Vista Home Premium SP1 [OEM]. The laptop won't shut down, getting stuck on he"logging off" screen, foe 30 muinutes, 2 hours...overnight ! I have to use the power button to force shut down. The next time I tried to boot, the laptop started with the boot menu. In such circumstances, I chosed the obvious - safe mode, which came up with no problems. I then chosed to "check disk". For this, the laptop needed to restart...but then it got stuck on the logging off screen....and this cycles... What do I do next ? Thanks.

christy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Won't log off.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Won't log off.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Any Clues in the Event Log?

Try going to - Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Event Viewer

Then look at System and Application. System will let you see your shut down processes and should have an error if it is unable to close something that is preventing a full shutdown. Not always, but for me there is usually a clue in the logs.

- Collapse -
Re Event log...

Thanks for your reply......

Event viewer shows nothing relevant... actually safe mode opens up in an earlier date, so the current events are not shown ! Wat now ?

christy

- Collapse -
A few questions for you.

1. Is Vista the OS the laptop originally came with or an upgrade?

2. Has it ever shut down properly or has it only started failing to shut down recently?

3. Have you checked the Power Management applet in Control Panel (it is under the System and Maintenance link)?

4. Is Power Management enabled in the BIOS?

5. have you tried Systme Restore to a date prior to the problem?

Generally a failure to shut down is a result of incompatible ACAPI in BIOS, a bad driver, a service that isn't shutting down, or malware.

Type "reliability monitor" in the search box - You'll be able to use that to see what kinds of errors you are getting. Also Device Manager will tell you if there's something that's having troubles.

You have already been told to look in the System and Application logs in Event Viewer.

The other thing may be spyware/adware - Clean it if you can with Malwarebytes, Super-Anti Spyware, Hitman Pro etc.. "Use more than one as none of them find everything and be sure to update each after you install it and prior to running it.

When all else fails, you can force the comp to shut down by typing: shutdown /f in the search box.

CNET Forums

Forum Info