Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Won't even boot in safe mode. What else can I do?

I am running windows xp on an LG laptop model LM50.

This morning I created a restore point then installed new software for my wireless adaptor as my system often recovers from serious faults and says that it needs updating - updates available fron Intel etc.

Once updated it crashed, and crashed and crashed.
I eventually went to try safe mode - crashed again before fully booting. I got the windows music and a couple of things in the system tray then it crashed again.

I tried several more times to start safe mode.
then I tried the option of starting with the last set of setting that worked - that crashed too.
I tried starting safe mode with command prompt.
That crashed too.

A friend suggested reinstalling windows as an updatefrom my windows disc.

The only cd I appear to have is the LG disc with all the laptop software on it - I checked in start up that the order was set to look at cd drive first before booting from hard drive but it didnt do anything with the cd. It just went into its routine of crashing over and over.
The cd seems to be a cd that runs on windows and installs everything via a program rather than booting from there.

I am stumped. Please help. I have to get a translation finished by tonight and the document is on my laptop!

Any suggestions most gratefully received.

JH

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Won't even boot in safe mode. What else can I do?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Won't even boot in safe mode. What else can I do?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The only cd I appear to have is the LG disc with all the lap

In reply to: Won't even boot in safe mode. What else can I do?

That is a problem. You should have received the CDs for your operating system, drivers and factory installed software when you purchased the computer. Or, there should have been a restore CD set with everything included. I'd suggest you contact the computer maker and request another set of CDs. There will probably be a fee for this.

Collapse -
Where's the backup?

Your story is not unique. Too many are running without backup.

If you have access to another machine, here's KNOPPIX that might help you get the files out -> http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm

It's also a very new machine. Call HP and have them step you through their plans to get your files back.

Bob

Collapse -
Knoppix

In reply to: Where's the backup?

I am downloading it now and am keeping fingers crossed. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Knoppix Wonders

In reply to: Where's the backup?

You are a star! I have got it to boot with the knoppix which has raised my hopes no end.
As it doesnt seem to want to let me change the permissions to be able to write the document I need to the pcmcia hard drive I am trying to connect to the internet to mail it to myself but although it is recognising the wireless connection it comes up as disabled and when I try to enable it says I need the root password. Ihave put in every password I can think of that I have but I am not sure exactly which password it is asking for.
Any ideas?
Thanks so much for your help and suggestion of the knoppix. It's an amazing set of programs!
Jill

Collapse -
Write to NTFS is not supported.

In reply to: Knoppix Wonders

Collapse -
knoppix internet connection

In reply to: Write to NTFS is not supported.

Yes, In my investigation I realised it didnt write to NTFS which stumps me somewhat so I am trying for the email option but I still need the root password so that it will let me enable the wireless connection and although i have found a couple of pages saying what to type - I am not having any success.

Collapse -
This might be of some help to you...

In reply to: Knoppix Wonders

Collapse -
Do you have a recovery partition on your hard drive?

Do you have a recovery partition on your hard drive? If so, hold down the F10 key when you boot up your computer, and then select the 'NON-DESTRUCTIVE' recover.

Collapse -
partition

In reply to: Do you have a recovery partition on your hard drive?

No I have never put any partitions on the drive. I am not familiar with the idea of recovery partitions. I shall research and set one up if and when I get this all sorted out.

Collapse -
You don't put the partition on the hard drive

In reply to: partition

the manufacturer does. Some computer companies are putting the recovery or reinstallation information on the hard drive instead of providing CDs. Depending on the age and manufacturer of your computer, this may or may not pertain to your situation.

Collapse -
partition

In reply to: You don't put the partition on the hard drive

How do I find out if there is one on my hard drive? I have no paper documentation for the laptop. Only the cd they gave me with all the drivers and programs it needed (none of which is a rescue prog)?

Collapse -
partition more info

In reply to: partition

the laptop is a nearly a year old. It is made by LG and is a LM 50

Collapse -
Under a year old? Warranty?

In reply to: partition more info

Time to call them up and make it their problem?

Collapse -
Distance

In reply to: Under a year old? Warranty?

The problem is that I was bought the laptop in Dubai while based there for a couple of months. Now I live in Spain and LG doesn't have any IT support in Spain.

I thinking I will manage to sort things out with the knoppix once I figure out what password it wants to get connected to my wireless connection and then I can live with my old computer for a few weeks til a computer whizz friend comes over from UK and sorts it out if I can't. All I desperately need off it right now is one document but it wont let me write to the pcmcia card (hard drive)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.