HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

Won't boot unless reset CMOS every time?

by werea / February 24, 2014 4:25 PM PST

Nothing happens when I push powerbuttom, and the light on the buttom is lighting orange instead of white.
there is a green light on the back of pc,and a orange on motherbroad.

I tried move RAM stick and put it back, nothing happened.
Then I tried with CMOS battery, it started without the battery, and even after I put it back.

Then a very confusing thing started to happen. every time I start it shortly after shut it down, it works perfect. But it's totally dead, when I try to start some hour after shuting down. I have to take out CMOS battery and put it back every time I try to start it, unless I start shortly after shuting down of couse.
It even works without pull off all plugs, just take out the battery and put it back, whala, pc is working.

Had replaced battery but problem remains.

In event logg I found a error message :
Error message:
An error occurred while the provider of stored messages from the driver. Restart the Virtual Disk Service. hr = 80042505

What's causing this problem? Could it be BIOS? Should I try BIOS update?
PC:Dell Inspiron 545
BIOS: A06

Plz help!
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Won't boot unless reset CMOS every time?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Won't boot unless reset CMOS every time?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Error
by pgc3 / February 24, 2014 11:22 PM PST

So you replaced the CMOS battery with a new one, to no avail. Did you check boot sequence?

Collapse -
thanks
by werea / February 25, 2014 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: Error

Thanks for your answer.

yep, bought a new one but did not solve the problem.

I didn't change anything there and load default settings every time efter I removed the battery. But just in case, in which order should it be?

Collapse -
Boot
by pgc3 / February 25, 2014 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

See what the sequence is, should generally be C drive...or optical drive, D, as a rule, optional.

Collapse -
Boot Device Configuration
by werea / February 25, 2014 3:01 PM PST
In reply to: Boot

eh, got into BIOS, and under Boot Device Configuration it say:
Boot Device Configuration
Hard disk Boot Priorityc Press Enter
First Boot Device Removable
Second Boot Device Hard Disk
Third Boot Device CDROM
Boot other Device enabled

Is this right? I choosed reset BIOS to default, but everytime I reset CMOS.

Collapse -
Boot
by pgc3 / February 25, 2014 11:42 PM PST

And you pressed enter on Hard disk priority C?

Collapse -
boot
by werea / February 26, 2014 3:43 AM PST

Didn't do that, just select load default settings and then save and exit. Should I try to press enter, then shut down, and see what happens when I press power buttom some hours after?

Collapse -
re
by werea / February 27, 2014 4:45 AM PST

Instead of a few hours interval, I just tried with 15mins.

Computer did start up 15 minutes after power down without removing the mains plug. And everything seems to be ok.

WhenI try to start 15 minutes after power down and removed the mains plug, it did not load Dell logo. Instead there was a message.
CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded
Press F1 to continue. F2 to enter setup

I pressed F2 and in the Setup meny I found the time has been reset. When I exit without save, I got back to the above message.
Pressed F2 again, select Load Default Setting, then Save and Exit. Then computer was able to starts up.

Collapse -
Answer
This mismosh of errors.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2014 11:50 PM PST

Points to an aging PC. Usually a new motherboard and power supply fixes it.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by werea / February 25, 2014 3:28 AM PST

Thanks for your answer.

so it's simply because it's old? but how come it works fine otherwise? I mean once I get it on, then it works, no such things as blue screen or shuting down unexpected had ever happened.

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 4:23 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Consider the rated life span of a common component. For example Eletrolytic Capacitors are about 5 year life rated. I look and see a machine over that, and the mismosh of errors are a sign it's likely to be the usual. You can try all the other things first.
Bob

Collapse -
replace
by werea / February 25, 2014 3:07 PM PST
In reply to: Yes.

Bought it summer 09 so not exactly over five years, but maybe used it to often.
If it's whats causing the problem, is your advise to replace it? or should I buy a new PC, since replacing both motherboard and power supply is not cheap.

Collapse -
Then power.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: replace

We have this many posts and only a small idea of the machine we are chatting about as to age, use and the symptoms are the usual for power and/or motherboard problems.

I don't see if there was a high powered video card installed so I can't tell if that's the cause but the parts I noted are cheaper than a new PC.

With more story I'd lean to the PSU.
Bob

Collapse -
PSU
by werea / February 26, 2014 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: Then power.

Is there any way to check PSU, before buy a new one`?

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2014 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: PSU

It takes a PSU load tester which is rare to find as a PSU is cheaper. But let's find it so you know.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R359QQDZ32SU77/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000P0L45K&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=172282&store=electronics

That's the usual "tester" but it only puts on a fraction of the load required to do a full up test. Not only that but you need more. Such as.

1. Full load (50% load is usually enough.)
2. Oscilloscope to see if the voltage is right and stable.

Here's a full article about such a setup. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/stress-test,1073.html

Now you know.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the information
by werea / February 27, 2014 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: Yes.

Thanks for the information. Just did following, could it indicate if it's PSU or motherboard problem.

Had tried to wait 15 mins after shut down, with ang without main plug.

Computer did start up 15 minutes after power down without removing the mains plug. And everything seems to be ok.

WhenI try to start 15 minutes after power down and removed the mains plug, it did not load Dell logo. Instead there was a message.

I pressed F2 and in the Setup meny I found the time has been reset. When I exit without save, I got back to the above message.
Pressed F2 again, select Load Default Setting, then Save and Exit. Then computer was able to starts up.

Collapse -
Answer
Check out jumpers
by mjd420nova / February 26, 2014 12:03 AM PST

I've seen this once before and the fault was the REST jumper berg was in the rest position. No matter what changes or how many times you save the changes, it will default to the factory settings. This is usually a three pin affair, jumper the midlle to one side for reset and from the middle to the other pin is the normal position. Aside from that fault, the CMOS chip irself may be at fault.

Collapse -
CMOS
by werea / February 26, 2014 3:48 AM PST
In reply to: Check out jumpers

Had always tried to remove the battery, so I think the jumper has been where it had always been.
How can I check if it's the CMOS chip which cuase the problem?

Collapse -
Long ago
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2014 4:06 AM PST
In reply to: CMOS
Collapse -
Thanks for the informatio
by werea / February 27, 2014 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: Long ago

Thanks for the information.
Just did following, could it indicate if it's CMOS chip that's causing the problem?.

Had tried to wait 15 mins after shut down, with ang without main plug.

Collapse -
Yes it seems so.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2014 5:05 AM PST

Now to rule out something, what voltage do you read on the battery?

Collapse -
battery
by werea / March 1, 2014 1:06 PM PST
In reply to: Yes it seems so.

3 V, CR 2032
Just as the old one

Collapse -
When I read a new CR 2032
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2014 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: battery

I get over 3 Volts on the meter. This tells me that either you didn't use a Volt meter or the battery wasn't new.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.