The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Woman dies trying to win a Wii

See link - apparently it was a drinking water competition and she died of water intoxication, where the brain swells, also known as cerebral oedema. a similar thing can happen with certain illicit drugs and a form of diabetes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6263029.stm

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Woman dies trying to win a Wii
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Woman dies trying to win a Wii
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) I'll refrain from making "Wii" jokes

In reply to: Woman dies trying to win a Wii

Collapse -
I felt soo bad when I read about this over the weekend...

It's just soo bad - the Mom just wanted to get something nice for her kids! I think that contests that can cause serious conditions should be conducted under serious medical supervision or not at all... I know, I know - disclaimers and warnings can be effective and should be taken seriously...but I guess because the lady did this for her kids is what really hits me...it's just soo sad.

Karl (the med student) - any thoughts?...

Best,
Shalin

Collapse -
(NT) Darwins rules rock!

Collapse -
(NT) Show a wii amount of compassion

In reply to: Darwins rules rock!

Collapse -
"Darwin rules" did cross my mind...but...

In reply to: Darwins rules rock!

yeah, I agree with paintguru...it's hard to think about the kids not having their mom just because of a silly and dangerous contest...

Collapse -
Imagine, if you can...

In reply to: "Darwin rules" did cross my mind...but...

I feel terrible hearing about this, I dont know what I would do if I lost my mum to a stupid competition/game induced injury. The fact that she was just trying to be the best parent she could be shakes me, I don't know about you guys.

Collapse -
Wait a second...

In reply to: Imagine, if you can...

So trying to win a Wii makes you a good parent? Amazing what "parenting" has become I guess. I guess all those parents who try to get their kids Tickle Me Elmos are "good parents" too.

Collapse -
Tickle Me Elmo

In reply to: Wait a second...

I bought one of those way back when...and my neighbor offered me $1000 for it. I didn't sell it to her because I didn't think that was the right message to send to her kid. (not my job, of course)

Collapse -
Awfully cynical of you..

In reply to: Wait a second...

I think this is a horribly sad situation. Passing judgement without knowing about the mother or her kids is a bit unfair. Perhaps she was a poor mother whose delightful kids deserved such a gift. Perhaps she was a lazy mother who couldn't be bothered to earn the money to buy the toy for her ungrateful kids.

Most likely neither is correct, but we just don't know so making a cynical comment about the legitimacy of her being a good parent or not is perhaps insensitive.

Collapse -
I can't believe this contest

I really can not believe that the radio station was stupid enough to do this contest - and just like drinking too much alcohol the body can be severely damaged by drinking too much water. Any station, any media owner would have the smarts to have their lawyers go over any such contest. I'm sure they had the participants sign papers absolving them from all liabilities - but that doesn't make the outcome unpredictable. They should have known - or someone should have contacted a doctor - and been aware of the possible harm. In fact - I wonder if the form the participants signed was worded in a way that indicated the station was aware of the possibility of harm? For the sake of the kids who don't have a mother I certainly hope the station did an adaquate job of telling people exactly what the risks were. This reminds me of hazing deaths we see in the news from time to time.

Collapse -
What about personal responsibility?

In reply to: I can't believe this contest

I want a Wii but I'm not gonna risk my life for it...

I would think that it is common knowledge that water intoxication can kill you.

And yes, it's stupid of the radio station too, but there has to be some value placed on personal responsibility.

On a similar tach, a radiostation here in albany told listeners they would give you a PS3 if you gave them their kids for a week to live at the radiostation, and a lady actually called up and said she'd do it!! The contest was actually a joke, and there was a huge backlash of callers saying what an awful parent the lady was.

Collapse -
The first death by wii..

Im suprised this didnt happen earlier..but I feel bad for her..she lost her life over a 250 dollar piece of plastic...:\

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.