Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

woindow messenger

how do i keep window messenger from loading up each time i open my outlook express. and it is not check in my windows components i keeping getting this message each time i try to close it

There are other applications currently using features provided by windows messenger you must close theses other application before you can exit windows messenger theses applications may include outlook express msn explore and internet explore
i have windows xp home
256 mb
120hd
80hd
hp pavilion 7850

Thanks for the help in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: woindow messenger
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: woindow messenger
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
window messenger

In reply to: woindow messenger

Had the same problem and eventually fixed it - cant quite remember which of the manythings did thought but try these -
* If you are using it just to chan why not uninstall it (ie disable it in add/remove windows components) and down load MSN Messanger 6.2 - it offers more functions
But if not try the following
* make sure it is not in any of "startup" lists by running msconfig.exe - also check in the startup folder in the programs group while u r at it.
* in messenger u can also tell it not to load with windows or i think run in the background
* in add/remove programs go to "set program access and defaults" click on "custom" and make sure "windows Messenger" is not ticked.
* I also had problems with Norton antivirus loading it - so if u have norton with the "messenger scanning option" uncheck it as well to see if this is the problem - if it is then norton antivirus maybe not be running properly (if this is the case let me know because this is another whole story)
* i use "outlook" now but i have memories of finding two location where loading messenger auotomatically is given (not sure of this one)maybe it is the next suggestion i am thinking about:-
* in IExplorer go to "tools" and then "messenger" and set the option
* if all else fails try searching the registry and turn of the option to load with windows (ie will have a "1" so change to "0")
let me know how u go -
peter

Collapse -
Re: window messenger

In reply to: window messenger

OK - here is what I do:

1. make sure messenger is not set to start up with windows
2. Make sure that Outlook Express is not set to start messenger with it's own start up.
3. Go to start/run/msconfig then the 'startup' tab, and look for msmsg file (I think) it is also starting messenger on system bootup (Good ole Gates didn't miss a trick huh? Happy ).
4. Now close down Messenger. If you get the message again, give the computer a 3-fingered salute (ctrl/alt/delete at the same time) and select the 'processes' tab. Select ms messenger and shut it down.
5. Now go on the net and load ms messenger 6.2 (Google search).
6. Now go to desktop/my computer/C drive/programs and highlight 'messenger' and try to delete it. If that does not work, try to rename it. If you cannot do either, you may have to leave it there.
7. Make sure Messenger has no desktop shortcut, if it has simply send it to the recycle bin and empty the bin.
8. Now load messenger 6.2 onto your system (It loads as MSN Messenger, instead of just Messenger).
9. Once that is done, click start/programs and right click on MSN messenger 6.2, then select send to desktop (create a short cut).

You now have the icon you need on the desktop to manually start MSN 6.2 - which has more functionality than it's older brother (which comes bundled with Win XP, so if you format and re-install Win XP, you need to repeat this process to get rid of it and re-load messenger 6.2).

One last point - if you were able to delete Messenger 4.7 from your system, everytime you sign into Windows Update, it will try to send it to you as a recommended update. Simply de-select it and leave it there.

Happy Messeng-ering Happy

Deejay

Collapse -
good one - but

In reply to: Re: window messenger

u had me laughing with the salute - but i remember also trying the renaming of messenger as u suggest in item 6 - i discovered all i was doing was sending the system on a "witch hunt" trying to find it thus wasting system resourse and time - i think it also caused other problems when i did a add/remove windows programs - mind you i think this was after i installed the "windows messenger 4.7" update - i should not have installed 4.7 as u suggested in the first place - other than that i think your advice was spot on
Peter

Collapse -
Re: woindow messenger

In reply to: woindow messenger

First, you will need administrative previleges on the PC you are working on. Do the following:

1 - Click on "start"
2 - Click on "run"
3 - Enter "gpedit.msc" (without quotes) - click OK
4 - Expand the Administrative Templates Folder under Computer Configuration folder
5 - Expand the Windows Componets folder
6 - Open the Windows Messenger folder
7 - Double click the "Do not allow Windows Messager to be run setting"
8 - Enable this setting
9 - click the next button and enable that setting also
10 - Click OK to close box.

Repeat steps 4 thru 10 under the User Configuration folder.

This procedure will prevent Windows Messenger from loading and running.

Collapse -
Re: woindow messenger

In reply to: Re: woindow messenger

If you are using it just to chan why not uninstall it (i.e. disable it in add/remove windows components) and down load MSN Messenger 6.2 - it offers more functions-------------- it is not check in add an remove its not in start up its not on my desk top it only show up when I use outlook express
I check msconfig for the file msmsg file no luck

1 - Click on "start"
2 - Click on "run"
3 - Enter "gpedit.msc" (without quotes) - click OK window said can?t find file anything else would be very appreciated

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.