Had the same problem and eventually fixed it - cant quite remember which of the manythings did thought but try these -
* If you are using it just to chan why not uninstall it (ie disable it in add/remove windows components) and down load MSN Messanger 6.2 - it offers more functions
But if not try the following
* make sure it is not in any of "startup" lists by running msconfig.exe - also check in the startup folder in the programs group while u r at it.
* in messenger u can also tell it not to load with windows or i think run in the background
* in add/remove programs go to "set program access and defaults" click on "custom" and make sure "windows Messenger" is not ticked.
* I also had problems with Norton antivirus loading it - so if u have norton with the "messenger scanning option" uncheck it as well to see if this is the problem - if it is then norton antivirus maybe not be running properly (if this is the case let me know because this is another whole story)
* i use "outlook" now but i have memories of finding two location where loading messenger auotomatically is given (not sure of this one)maybe it is the next suggestion i am thinking about:-
* in IExplorer go to "tools" and then "messenger" and set the option
* if all else fails try searching the registry and turn of the option to load with windows (ie will have a "1" so change to "0")
let me know how u go -
how do i keep window messenger from loading up each time i open my outlook express. and it is not check in my windows components i keeping getting this message each time i try to close it
There are other applications currently using features provided by windows messenger you must close theses other application before you can exit windows messenger theses applications may include outlook express msn explore and internet explore
i have windows xp home
hp pavilion 7850
Thanks for the help in advance