General discussion

WNR2000v2 - setup help, sticky link is no good.

Hello,

I recently purchased the WNR2000v2 router. I originally had it set up with 2 XP PCs hard wired to it, and a Xbox 360 and Wii wireless. Everything seemed to work fine, though sometimes I had hit and miss signal/speed.

I just purchased a laptop and am having some problems getting it to stay connected.

To my main point... I keep seeing references to the sticky about how to set this router up so it works, but the stick has nothing on this router. I saw a reference to use post 19 in that sticky thread, but that link is not valid.

Can anyone point me to the correct link? Thanks!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: WNR2000v2 - setup help, sticky link is no good.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: WNR2000v2 - setup help, sticky link is no good.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You're right.

We didn't list all the routers the Cnet Networking Forum applies to. But since I had the WNR2000 I can write that the basic settings of defaults then changing the SSID (not hidden!) and WPA/WPA2/PSK still applies.

For others to comment you should reveal what you set your router to. Folk with hidden SSID and WEP or less security suffer the most for many reasons. Also the distance and walls affect this.
Bob

- Collapse -
More info!

Alright...

Currently it is set to WPA2-PSK. SSID is not hidden. I am not at home to double check but I believe it's set to AES and not TKIP (I am a noob and just set it to the highest one... lol)

I have it set to 300mbps as well.

The 360 and Wii seem to be fine. Occasional speed changes, but that could just be my internet (though I haven't ever noticed it on my desktop that is hardwired.)

The router is about 5 feet off the ground. The laptop (and gaming systems) were being used about 20 feet away. There is a partial wall between the two, but mostly it's open.

After poking around here, I should try WPA vs WPA2? And does AES or TKIP matter? Also does the maximum speed setting matter? The laptop isn't high end, just a cheapo for browsing the net without being at my desktop, Gateway laptop that has (I believe integrated) RealTek wireless connection.

It would connect with a strong signal but would continuously lose the signal. Or it would have the signal and say no internet connection. The 360 was on during this time for the most part, though I noticed no difference with it on or off... And it was streaming from Netflix or off my desktop's movie collection with no issues. So thinking it's something between the router and laptop.

Might be info overload, but I am not sure what you need lol. Thanks!

- Collapse -
Our WNR2000

Had the latest firmware. We also found we had to pull back to WPA since one of our devices didn't do WPA2 and another didn't work well with WPA2.

Today you might find a WPA/WPA2 setting which might help.

As to AES/TKIP I decline to enter a debate on that. Read:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14248880 for starters and use which ever you like or find to work best.

We had the usual laptops, desktops, Wii, 360 and a PS3 in the mix along with a WPGRS606 (or something like that number.)
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info