Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

wmv file problems

by superman276 / June 30, 2004 5:12 AM PDT

my .wmv/.mpg (all video) files were fine two days ago but now, the colors all messed up. its like theres a white see through "mask" covering the video. it's not windows media player's ( 9 series ) problem because the videos are messed up when i play them on divx. i recently deleted some files i thought were useless. could that be the problem? any ideas. much appreciated. thanks. i use windowsxp.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wmv file problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wmv file problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: wmv file problems
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2004 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: wmv file problems

This is usually one of two things.

1. The video driver is not at millions of colors.
2. You deleted a codec.

I can't tell you what codec you need, but you can learn about such at http://www.moviecodec.com

bOb

Collapse -
by superman276 / June 30, 2004 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: wmv file problems
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2004 7:15 AM PDT

WMP has no reinstall feature. There are some noted methods at http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html but you left out what OS, what video setting you have and more.

It played fine here in Media Player Classic and WMP 9. Let me try the older MPLAYER2... Yes, working there too.

My bet is on:

1. CODECs.
2. Players.
3. DirectX
4. Video Drivers.
5. Video settings.

Bob

Collapse -
by superman276 / June 30, 2004 7:24 AM PDT

winxp
866mhz
1280x1024
(highest)32bit
directx9
256 ram
pagefile 500
samsung syncmaster sm950p on nvidia geforce2 gts/geforce2pro with all the latest drivers

i reinstalled it by going to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Installer mpsetupxp.exe

i dunno if it could still be the codecs since i already installed the wmv codecs at microsoft.com

my wmv files doesn't work with my divx player also

do you think it could be a virus? can viruses corrupt this type of stuff?

Collapse -
by superman276 / June 30, 2004 7:31 AM PDT

hmm. i downloaded the trend micro 30 day free trial anti virus and it said it found a trojan, which it deleted. then i did a full scan and said i had no more viruses.
BUT then, i used mcafee's freescan, and it says i have a VBS/PSYME virus but doesn't tell me how i can get rid of it w/o buying their software. can this virus be the culprit? proffitt, do you know how i can manually fix this?

Collapse -
by superman276 / June 30, 2004 7:32 AM PDT

hmm. i downloaded the trend micro 30 day free trial anti virus and it said it found a trojan, which it deleted. then i did a full scan and said i had no more viruses.
BUT then, i used mcafee's freescan, and it says i have a VBS/PSYME virus but doesn't tell me how i can get rid of it w/o buying their software. can this virus be the culprit? proffitt, do you know how i can manually fix this or a program that does fix it?

Collapse -
Did you just reveal you run without an Antivirus?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2004 11:24 AM PDT

Ouch.

With Free AVG from http://www.grisoft.com being ... free, why go without?

And XP without SP1 and patches is loved by the Sasser and other worms. After I get XP installed, the firewall (Zone Alarm) is next (and free.)

In closing, are you trying the ripout and reinstall of WMP as noted in my supplied link?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Did you just reveal you run without an Antivirus?
by superman276 / June 30, 2004 2:28 PM PDT

i did the C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Installer mpsetupxp.exe like the article said since i don't have the xp cd. did it twice just to make sure and the problems still not solved.
downloaded AVG and i don't have any viruses.
downloaded klite codecs full, problem still not solved.
i don't think i deleted any of the codecs cause i haven't deleted anything in c:\windows\system32 that's where the video codecs are located when i check on system information. or maybe there i deleted a codec that was somewhere else.
man, screenshot won't show the video i'm playing so i can't show you what it looks like. any other ideas? thanks for reply proffitt

Collapse -
Fix for playing files
by vpaul11 / December 14, 2004 10:04 AM PST

Get the Directx file from Microsoft and install it. I think it is version 9c now. Worked for me.

Collapse -
by superman276 / June 30, 2004 2:51 PM PDT

oh, and i've also gotten around 20 explorer.exe errors these past 2 days. haven't gotten these errors before at this rate. also, i'm still getting these errors after AVG says i have no viruses. i dunno if this is causing my problems but i'm just throwing it out there. thanks!

Collapse -
Two things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2004 11:35 PM PDT

1. You didn't share an error message, so I can't comment. Hint> Take the error message in "quotes" and make a new thread in the OS Forum that fits.

2. You haven't been answering my questions. As such, I can't tell what you've done.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Two things.
by superman276 / July 1, 2004 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Two things.

i thought that i've been answering your questions
1. downloaded k lite full codecs (moviecodec.com)- but didn't solve the problem
2. i couldn't rip out windows media player cause i don't have my xp cd. therefore, i scrolled down (http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html) and went to "if you are trying to fix the player, simply reinstall it over the top of itself. If you are using Windows Media Player 9, then you will typically find the installer (mpsetup.exe or mpsetupxp.exe) you used in "c:\program files\windows media player\installer", and can use that to reinstall the player. " <--i did that.
3. and yes, i was running w/o an antivirus until you suggested using AVG. by the way, thanks for telling me about AVG.
4. winxp pro
866mhz intel
1280x1024
(highest)32bit
directx9
256 ram
pagefile 500
samsung syncmaster sm950p on nvidia geforce2 gts/geforce2pro with all the latest drivers
5. are there any other questions? sorry if i missed any.
i'm pretty sure i'm installing the codecs correctly. the install screen comes up. then some clicking. then i'm done. i play the videos, but still messed up. is there another step before "i play the videoes"?
thanks for replying

Collapse -
NO XP CD = I wouldn't be able to fix it either.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2004 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Two things.

I think we've found the brick wall to your issue.

Resolve the missing CD and we can continue.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Re: NO XP CD = I wouldn't be able to fix it either.
by superman276 / July 1, 2004 2:30 AM PDT

wow. i found it stored somewhere. i'll be back after i try that the link says.

Collapse -
Re: wmv file problems i fixed it!!!!!!!!
by superman276 / July 1, 2004 4:57 AM PDT

codecs weren't the problem. geforce driver was the problem. looks like i deleted something that belonged to the driver. i just had to dl and reinstallt he drivers. anyways, thanks soooooooooooo much proffitt for helping me!
yay!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.