Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WMP9 corrupting mp3 files on WIN98SE

Hi Everyone,

I've been having a problem with WMP9 (imagine that!).
I add mp3 files from my D drive(40gb)and edit into existing playlists. After a while, some songs start playing bits of other songs or video. I have taken the same songs from the D drive and added them to my iRiver igp-100 and to a Firelite removable drive and have never had this happen. I've tried using MP3 Repair on the files with no luck. I've noticed this problem only started after I had a relatively large(8+ gb) quantity of mp3's loaded on the WMP9. Is there an inherent capacity problem with WMP9? If there is, any fixes? I've downloaded the Domino Player in an attempt ot avoid WMP9(and it allows U to print playlists) but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to set up separate playlists, etc. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any suggestions, links, help, etc.

Running HP Brio w/ 4gb C drive & 40 gb D drive, 286 RAM, Win98SE, and DSL

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WMP9 corrupting mp3 files on WIN98SE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WMP9 corrupting mp3 files on WIN98SE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll be absolutely no help here

In reply to: WMP9 corrupting mp3 files on WIN98SE

but just had to comment. I use WMP9 exclusively to listen to my music, but have NEVER created playlists. Instead, I manually select which songs I want to listen to or I burn them all to a cd of its own and play it instead. If you believe that there is a problem with playlists with WMP9 or any other version, and it could be related to how many songs are in the individual list, have you tried cutting back on the number of the individual list to see if it stops happening?

Something else you might want to consider is NOT updating to WMP10 because I suspect that that version will be able to detect any copyrighted songs and not play them (whether ripped from your own cd's or downloaded). I have no proof of this, but perhaps one of your latest WMP9 updates also included this 'feature' and that it is deliberately messing up the songs as it is detected.

I turn off ALL internet 'features' of WMP9, just as I did with all older versions, and so far have run into no problems......but like I said I don't use playlists. Perhaps if you turn off the internet options of WMP9, things will straighten out as well?

TONI

Collapse -
WMP9 capacity

In reply to: I'll be absolutely no help here

Thanks Toni,

I've turned off all internet options except for the one that updates the player automatically ( it won't allow me to turn it off completely, only switch to "once a month"). Problem still happens on playlists with as little as 5 songs. I can't switch to WMP10 because I'm running Win98SE, not XP.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.