Mac Applications forum

General discussion

WMP working with macs in future?

by pottok / January 23, 2006 1:16 AM PST

When MS and Apple signed a new deal for Office, they nuked any future upgrades of WMP for mac. There's supposed to be a plug-in/download/whatever flip4mac to run wmv files with no problems in Quicktime. It doesn't. I mailed flip4mac who say a month or so to sort out the Quicktime compatibility issue.

BUT there's no guarantee that media sites which all stream video and audio using WMP will be mac-compatible when WMP is next upgraded by MS (soon? with Vista?). Many may well be Windows only. WMP is used exclusively by British media like Sky News, Channel 4 News, BBC News - although some of their's is in RM for the moment - plus CNN, Reuters etc etc. I want to go to a site, click on a video/audio link and have it open and play, not convert files to other formats or smash machines/my head in frustration! I need the media sites. I like the G5. But would I be sensible to stick with a PC?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WMP working with macs in future?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WMP working with macs in future?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Video
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 23, 2006 8:04 AM PST

Using Flip4Mac I found that CNN, Reuters and Sky worked well. The BBC will not let me look at their stuff without a subscription and Channel 4 promises QuickTime but fails to deliver.
http://today.reuters.com/tv/videoChannel.aspx?storyId=FEEDROOM130539
This is not really a MS or Apple problem. The main problem lies with the website designers failing to grasp what it is that they need to do or those that don't grasp the concept of using W3W compatible code.
MSNBC expects you to use IE 6.0 which, even if there was support for WMP, would rule you out anyway. No IE for Mac after v5.0. This lack of support for WMP on the Mac is not a new thing. Compare the difference in version numbers on both platforms.
The ultimate choice is yours. If you cannot live without your daily does of WMP provided news, which is available in other places, then go for the PC.
You are asking questions that no one on this forum, has the answers to.

P

Collapse -
video (in)compatibility
by pottok / January 23, 2006 8:57 PM PST
In reply to: Video

Hi. sorry about the email. This site warns you not to give out your email so I thought it worked like a p.m.

As Apple and MS couldn't help me and I do need to access the UK broadcast media websites both now and in the future, I have to make a decision. I am only trying to make the most informed decision possible as I know very little about computers (which you'll have gathered).

Flip4mac sent me 2 pessimistic emails. It may be the website designers doing things on the cheap or whatever, but it does look like just as macs were becoming ever more Windows compatible, this has happened. The G5 looks great and OS X likewise but I have to have full compatibility. Hence my qs to you guys who know a lot more than me.

thank you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!