Computer Help forum

General discussion

WMP only plays half of video

by i7agon / February 26, 2010 6:47 AM PST

Well, i open up home movies taken on a digital camera and only half the video plays. the video files will state their proper length and the timer bar looks as if it will run the full course but as soon as it reaches the movie will just stop, either replaying the first half or moving on to the next video in the folder/playlist, depending on the setting i have it on.

It says its the lastest WMP version and i'm running vista. There are no error messages and the files run fine on other peoples computers so i dont think its the files themselves which are corrupted, i've tried looking for help with WMP on the forums but so far nothing even slightly relates to this, would much appreciate any help, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WMP only plays half of video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WMP only plays half of video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try other players.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 7:13 AM PST

For this I skip WMP and try VLC Player to see if the video file is OK. It will PEACEFULLY co-exist with WMP and does not touch any codecs.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks but no luck
by i7agon / February 26, 2010 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: Try other players.

tried that but no luck, that player opens the file saying its half the length it should be. But its definately my computer as the files play just fine on my girlfriends laptop. they're all AVI files if that helps.

Collapse -
This helped!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks but no luck
Collapse -
Ok
by i7agon / February 26, 2010 9:06 AM PST
In reply to: This helped!

Codec for the one of the vids in question is called 'MJPG' 'Motion JPEG' and its status is 'Codec(s) are installed' checking the codecs and other filters list shows all filters are running fine but one:

- - ** Problem ** ** Missing file: ff_acm.acm
- - Type ACM
- - Function Decoder
DSH 4CC Base
REG Driver File ff_acm.acm

ID'ed as msacm.avis

Also i noticed that this program also states that the video is half the length it should be. 18 sec instead of 37.

Collapse -
That's what a CODEC does.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: Ok

It deCODEs the Content. Such info as length and more. I use VLC Player to help see what the next step is. Now that you know what's missing go get that.

BOb

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?