Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

WMP 10 will not play some common files

by magi376 / January 1, 2005 3:37 AM PST

With some files(as far as I know ONLY video files) I get this message when trying to play the file with Windows Media Player 10

"Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for any inconvenience."

Then it asks if I want to send an error report and either way WMP 10 will shut down

Some of the extensions it will not play now are wmv...wma and sometimes asf(possibly others but these are the ones I use most often and have problems the most)

I can run these exact files using Ifranview with no trouble so I'm sure it's not the specific files that are corrupted somehow...I can run them with media player classic too

Before I got WMP 10 I could run virtually any media file(I've downloaded many other codexes)

I'm also pretty certain I could(last month) run even those files that don't work now on WMP 10

So what the heck happened? And how do I get it back the way it was?

I have reinstalled WMP 10 last night and made certain the Files types to all for the ones I want WMP to be the defualt player and still it won't play those certain files that I've proven work with other players

ARGH!

It's driving me crazy...why just those few file types not working?

Do you think if I changed back to wmp 9 that might fix things?

Thanks for any help

PS I just thought of another symptom...SOMETIMES when clicking on a video file on someones website it will automatically open WMP but I still get that same error message and then WMP closes...it appears to know that file is SUPPOSED to be associated wmp but then it opens and doesn't know what to do with it so it closes again

BYW I never has this kind of trouble with any of the previous versions of WMP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WMP 10 will not play some common files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WMP 10 will not play some common files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's why. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 1, 2005 11:49 PM PST

I went back to WMP-9. 10 was too flaky.

Collapse -
Update
by magi376 / January 13, 2005 8:11 PM PST

I went back to Windows Media Player 9 and completely uninstalled WMP 10

I still cannot play those same common files like WMV files

Why not?

I checked and the player is supposed to be the default player for WMV files and yet when I try it makes the player close with a fatal error

Those same files are not corrupt since I can still play them with other players just fine

Does ANYONE have any ideas? So far I haven't gotten the slightest response from anyone about my problem

Collapse -
A little different
by pjdaly / January 20, 2005 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: Update

I've had WMP 10 for a while and had no problems till just recently. When I open a .wmv file the video portion stops after a few seconds (the screen goes black) but the audio continues. Any ideas?
Thanks,
PJD

Collapse -
Did you send the error report?
by jcrobso / January 21, 2005 6:22 AM PST

By sending the error report to MS you are telling that WMP10 is bad. If everybody does this maybe MS will do somthing and fix it. John

Collapse -
Yes the error report was sent MANY times
by magi376 / January 21, 2005 7:19 AM PST

Yes I sent in the error report...many times with various files that didn't work but since I have changed back to WMP9 and those same files still don't work I'm thinking whatever is wrong is on MY end not the program itself

This is puzzling because as I mentioned before I can still play the same exact clips on other players...just not on Windows Media Player

I have completely uninstalled WMP...then and only then downloaded a version of WMP and installed it...rebooted and it STILL will not play those particular files!!!?

This simply doesn't make sense to me why or how this can be

The files are NOT corrupted...I tried them on three other players and they worked

When I get new media files the next time I run WMP I have it search for what I just downloaded and it finds those new files and adds them to the library so it must think it can play them but if I try...I get that damned fatal error thing(but just on certain extensions...like WMV or AVI files)

Anyone with an idea either of what to do or where to find out what to do?

UPDATE I suspect this has some relation with my problem with WMP(D'oh!)...if I go to a site with video clips and they open an IE window with WMP and the file they are trying to send is one of the ones I've been having trouble with then I get a fatal error for IE and all IE windows close

Before anyone asks...yes I've sent the error reports under that circumstance too

Collapse -
I too have same problem
by geoff1132204 / January 25, 2005 12:02 PM PST

You are not alone. I have exactly the same problem you are describing. Using XP SP2 and WMP 10. I have also tried uninstalling this and repairing first WMP 9 before reinstalling WMP10, no effect. Seems to be .wmv & .wma files. I have searched the web and Microsoft's own knowledge base many times, unfortunately with no satisfactory results. I use aol (for my sins), and that also crashes should I download one of these file types and try to play through their media player....

Should you manage to solve this problem, please pass on.... would be much appreciated. I will do likewise. Good Luck!!!

Collapse -
Sorted it!
by geoff1132204 / January 28, 2005 9:30 AM PST

If you have any third party codec packs installed then they may be causing some incompatibility problems. I had the K-lite codec pack installed, which also installed the windows media classic player. I was advised to uninstalled this codec pack, & hey presto, windows media player started playing wmv again!!!

Collapse -
Yippee!
by magi376 / January 28, 2005 2:43 PM PST
In reply to: Sorted it!

Great job geoff

You're a life saver...I had figured it must be one of those codecs but since I downloaded so many I was dreading having to go through them all one by one to find the ones giving me the problems

Thanks again!

Collapse -
How to remove all bad codecs?
by anthonynigara / June 23, 2005 12:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Yippee!

I have been having the same problem with WMP10. How do you remove the old codecs so that only the default WMP one's are left? Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.