Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

WMP 10 .. cracking..popping..static noise in background

..sounds like an old vinyl record playing .... over the past week or two my WMP 10 will not play without these static sounds in the background..mp3...wav.. all formats... I have a 5 yr old Gateway Media Center 500XL PC running XP SP2... I normally use FF2 as my primary browser... problem also surfaces using WMP 10 in both FF2 and IE7

I can play all formats in every other media player I have on this PC including Media Monkey and some others w/o any problems.. ...which leads me to believe that the sound card is okay.. only problem is with WMP 10.. I have not changed anything to this PC and have had all the other Media players installed for a long time..

I did install some required MS Updates and one or two were for the WMP .. can't locate them in Add/Remove programs( w/ show updates checked) as MS suggests to try to uninstall them though... if anyone has an idea how to locate them in any other way please let me know...

any ideas what the problem might be would be appreciated...and is there a fix...I tried reinstalling WMP 10.. still the same... as an alternative can't install WMP 11 as this system is prior to 2005 WMP 11 requirements

thanx Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WMP 10 .. cracking..popping..static noise in background
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WMP 10 .. cracking..popping..static noise in background
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The old DMA issue can cause pops, crackles.

In reply to: WMP 10 .. cracking..popping..static noise in background

Collapse -
WMP 10 .. cracking..popping..staic noise in background

In reply to: The old DMA issue can cause pops, crackles.

not being very adept at playing with registry.. I checked out the Device Manager and all settings appear to be as explained in that article.. set to DMA or Ultra DMA

I did notice that after I clicked the 'plus' for IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers the results showed duplicates.. two listings for each of

Intel Ultra 82801B ATA Storage Controllers
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

Collapse -
The article noted...

In reply to: WMP 10 .. cracking..popping..staic noise in background

Uses methods that don't require registry tinkering. I'd read that again.

Collapse -
WMP 10 .. cracking..popping..staic noise in background

In reply to: The article noted...

will do.. thanx again

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.