Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WMP 10 Codec Error

by mulgarvie / August 3, 2007 6:10 PM PDT

Hi Again!

I have a problem with Windows Media Player 10. When I try to open an mp3 file it reports that I don't have the necessary codecs installed. I installed the K_Lite package recently to 'address' some issues in Windows Movie Maker. I'm at a loss. Please help!
Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WMP 10 Codec Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WMP 10 Codec Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Personally I would have stayed away from K-Lite.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 3, 2007 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: WMP 10 Codec Error

It is a codec pack from Kazaa, which includes a P2P program that, in the past, has been known to cause problems with spware, adware and, from downloaded files, with viruses. Kazaa now say they have cleaned up their act.

I would use a utility like GSpot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/) to examine the file and see what audio codec you need, then look for that. I know that DivX Codecs are safe, but DivX is a video player from http://www.divx.com and the codecs are included in their free video player package, so I am not sure whether they would have the required audio codec for you. They should do though.

Mark

Collapse -
problem fixed but still confused
by mulgarvie / August 11, 2007 8:06 AM PDT

Thank you MarkFlax for your suggestion. Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but I was away from my PC for a week.

Well, I decided to try out Windows Media Classic and it has no problems playing the file. GSpot is difficult for me to navigate. I'm still a very slow learner with all this stuff, so I didn't know what to look for in GSPot.

What confuses the Dickens out of me is why WMP 10 can't recognise the file format and yet Windows Media Classic does??? Is it a 'special' type of codec issue or an installation problem with WMP10?

Thanks again Happy

Collapse -
Well...
by jackson dougless / August 11, 2007 8:48 AM PDT

If you mean Media Player Classic instead of Windows Media Classic, then it would probably be because it has its own MP3 decoder codec built in. And assuming you do mean Media Player Classic, it's important to note that aside from looking a bit like Windows Media Player 6.4, it's a completely different program... In no way affiliated with, or endorsed, by Microsoft. It's far too useful, compact, and well done in general to have ever come from Microsoft.

Collapse -
understanding a little more
by mulgarvie / August 11, 2007 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

lol, you are so right there! Still, I wish I had some kind of 'Shortcut to Understanding Audio & Video Codecs' guide. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?