Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WMP 10 can not install/uninstall

by ron_cox99 / August 21, 2007 5:35 AM PDT

Windows Home Media 2005 Win XP SP2.

I started getting a message about corrupt DRM with a subscription music service and was directed to try reloading WMP10. I tried that and didn't work. Could not find how to uninstall WMP10. Did find Remove Components in Control Panel Add/Remove and did a uninstall there. Went to Microsoft Windows Media web page and downloaded WMP10. When I run install, it always fails. Then windows automatic updates tries to run WMP10 security update, which fails.

Also, automatic windows update tried updating Window Genuine Advantage and it faild. I was told my Windows key is bad.

I was also directed to the Windows Component update web page and it has one button, "Upgrade", but it is grayed out. I was told the Windows key was bad. Went to a genuine windows advantage web screen and ran their diagnostics and passed all functions. There is a Validate Windows button and I was told it was completed. Still have problems with WMP10 and upgrade components.

I have no idea how to wipe out my WMP10 so I can do a clean install.
Wonder if anyone is familiar with this issue.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WMP 10 can not install/uninstall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WMP 10 can not install/uninstall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reply to: WMP 10
by caktus / August 21, 2007 5:56 AM PDT

Tried System Restore?

Personally, I would get rid of WMP 10 and go back to WMP 9 and avoid the DRM trap.

Collapse -
Be sure to leverage what others have learned (links)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2007 6:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
WMP 10 can not install/uninstall
by ron_cox99 / August 21, 2007 7:13 AM PDT

I have tried so many things and read a lot of posts my head was spinning. Now I realize you can not really uninstall WMP, however, I should be able to reinstall on top of itself. Tried that many times and still get my errors.

Automatic Update for WMP10 does not work.
Get DRM corrupt message. (Found nothing in DRM folder - had no backup)
Maybe Windows Key corrupt - but got a message that said it was complete when I went to that Microsoft WGA diagnosis screen. Anyway, the Upgrade Windows Components button is still grayed out.

I tried system restore from before my errors started and still got same errors so I still must have something out of synch.

Collapse -
Sadly, we don't have an error message to work with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2007 7:59 AM PDT

"Get DRM corrupt message. (Found nothing in DRM folder - had no backup)
Maybe Windows Key corrupt - but got a message that said it was complete when I went to that Microsoft WGA diagnosis screen. Anyway, the Upgrade Windows Components button is still grayed out."

Without one error message there is little to offer except you try one of those error messages into google.com and see how others have dealt with them.

I hope you see why such information is key to solving this. Also why you think the OS got into such a funk.

Bob

Collapse -
Will goggle errors
by ron_cox99 / August 22, 2007 12:38 AM PDT

I was looking around for answers, but instead of confusing myself, I wanted to try a respected forum where I knew I would get good experienced advise and not a collection of confusing tidbits. I do realize the importance of googling as you suggested and will do that.

As far as how the OS went funky, I have no idea. I used WMP and the music subscription service the last time I used the computer with no problems, ever. This just happened out of the blue when the subscription service (Rhapsody) reported it could not play anything because of my DRM settings were bad. This led me down this road to try and get DRM issue resolved my reloading WMP10.

Collapse -
Getting on the airplane so...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2007 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Will goggle errors

I may not checkin till tomorrow.

I'd love to nail what the fix is but I don't have the one error message to work with. Please share that DRM error message.

No, I didn't mean you have to do google all on your own, but if you elect to not share the error messages I have little choice but to write how one might research the problems.

-> Point blank. Tell us the error message with the DRM noted.

Bob

Collapse -
Here is error message
by ron_cox99 / August 23, 2007 3:46 AM PDT

Here is the message I get from Rhapsody. Maybe it will be a clue as to the problem. Nothing I have done affected anything about it.

Windows Media DRM Corrupt

Phapsody has detected a problem with some of windows media DRM components on your computer. You will not be able to transfer or play any Rhapsody tracks until the problem is solved. Click OK to attempt to fix this problem.

Click Yes will close Rhapsody and any other application that uses windows media DRM. Your current windows media licences will be removed. You will be redirected to a web page to help you restore windows media DRM compnents.

www.drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/indivsite/en/indivit.asp

This web page:
Windows Media Technologies
Security component upgrade.
Upgrade security components of your digital media player so you can play protected files on your computer.

upgrade button is grayed out.

After having spent 1 1/2 hours with Rhapsody support and escalating to tier 2, I was directed to contact Dell about the DRM issue since Dell loaded the OS on my computer.

I also keep getting the Security update for WMP 10 for Win Xp (KB936782)
It always fails to load.

Collapse -
Have you done this procedure? See link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2007 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Here is error message
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/810422

Sorry but I'm just back from a redeye flight so I'll dig more later. But that message is well known and that's the usual (better than 50%) cure.

If you have been told to do this I wouldn't know....

BOb
Collapse -
Did see this
by ron_cox99 / August 23, 2007 7:44 AM PDT

I was told of the DRM folder earlier, but I didn't know it was a hidden system folder, so I 'did not find it'.

I did see this post later and 'found' the folder after unhiding, but I could not find drmv2.sst and was confused and tired by then and gave up.

I do not think I had a backup and had no idea if I could import.

I will look at this area again.

Collapse -
Found DRM folder
by ron_cox99 / August 23, 2007 10:35 AM PDT

Found a DRM folder under all users, but nothing is in it. It is empty.

Collapse -
OK, some look but don't accomplish the procedure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2007 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Found DRM folder

It can be because Explorer hides files or "other." Since the folder was empty this is not a good sign since it does have items in all cases.

-> Try another file browser such as GYULA'S NAVIGATOR.

I didn't write this before but reinstalling WMP doesn't fix this for the reasons noted. The reinstall doesn't clean this up.

Bob

Collapse -
Tried to backup, restore DRM
by ron_cox99 / August 23, 2007 10:43 AM PDT

I get this message when I tried to backup or restore DRM in WMP10:

Windows Media Player cannot play, synchronize, or burn a protected file because an error occurred while verifying the license.

Then I Renamed DRM folder to DRMbackup. Clicked on the link to Cecurity Components upgrade, and at least the upgrade button is enabled. Will try it now.

Collapse -
Error msg whne run component upgrade
by ron_cox99 / August 23, 2007 10:45 AM PDT

I just clicked on the (for the first time - enabled) upgrade button and get this error:

An error was encountered during upgrade. If you are still unable to play your content, additional help and support is available on http://support.microsoft.com

Collapse -
Tried another explorer program
by ron_cox99 / August 23, 2007 11:05 AM PDT

I installed the Gyula's Navigator. All I get when looking at mt DRMbackup folder is a folder icon with a red exclaimation point. Still no files are shown.

My God, what have I gotten myself into? I really hateing DRM. Never had a problem before, ever.

One more item, I earlier tried doing a system restore to a few days before any problems occurred. Saw no change in errors.

Collapse -
There's a small update available at...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2007 11:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Tried to run the link provided to upgrade components
by ron_cox99 / August 25, 2007 12:45 PM PDT

I just clicked on the (for the first time - enabled) upgrade button and get this error:

An error was encountered during upgrade. If you are still unable to play your content, additional help and support is available on http://support.microsoft.com

Collapse -
That message occurs when...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2007 9:51 PM PDT

There was a "DownloadFailure" on the page I noted. This is easy to replicate by setting most firewalls to "maximum".

The stock Microsoft firewall would not have an issue. Since you have not shared about your firewall or I missed in this discussion it's the likely issue or your account is not administrator capable.

Bob

Collapse -
that message occurs when...
by ron_cox99 / August 26, 2007 5:05 AM PDT

I am the only use and have administrative rights, but I will double check to be sure. I will also log in as administrator.

I am running McAfee Security Center and do not see where I control the firewall. I see where I can lock it down, but not have security settings. Should I disable it in Startup and then reboot without McAfee?

Collapse -
Amazing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2007 11:47 AM PDT

My dad's machine had similar issues. For some time we just got by with using Media Player Classic or VLC Player but the day came that some online game didn't work and he finally decided he had enough and we installed the good old classic Free AVG and Zone Alarm combo.

Bob

Collapse -
Having the Same Issue
by HallowHal / December 29, 2008 12:56 PM PST
In reply to: Amazing.

I'm having the same issue with my computer, with virtually the same error message, except insert "Napster" where it says "Rhapsody." After spending an hour and a half with Napster customer support, we determined that my DRM folder is completely gone (this is with all folders showing in All Users).

I use Windows XP, and have Windows Media Player 10. I'm also unable to click on Upgrade on that same page that was mentioned before.

Is there a way to recreate the DRM folder? Or am I looking at a complete wipe of my hard drive?

As added info, this problem occured after a system restore back to October (an anti-virus program {COMODO} slowed our computer down and wouldn't allow access to the internet and some programs wouldn't run). After getting everything back to normal, we noticed that none of our Napster files would play, nor could I download anything. All other music (iTunes, uploaded CDs, PCDJ FX) works. This is a computer that plays music for a club, so you can see where the frustration might origin.

Collapse -
There can be a few DRM folders.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 10:57 PM PST
In reply to: Having the Same Issue

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM

As well as C:\Documents and Settings\Youraccountnamehere\DRM

Now that you know where this folder is, why not delete it if they tell you that it's toast.

For WMP, this article tells more -> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/webhelp/default.aspx?&mpver=11.0.5721.5145&id=C00D11D7&originalid=C00D2760

Just in case it moves, here are the copy and pasted text or steps.
"To reset the Windows Media DRM system

Warning Resetting the DRM system will delete the media usage rights (also known as licenses) for your protected files. To play, burn, or sync any protected files on your computer, you will need to download new rights from your content providers. In some limited cases, it might not be possible to download new rights for certain files. Before resetting your DRM system, contact your online store for more information about its policies regarding rights download. In addition, if you are running Windows XP Media Center Edition or Windows Media Center for Windows Vista and you reset your DRM system, you might not be able to play any copy-protected TV shows that you have previously recorded.

Verify that Windows is configured to show hidden files and protected operating system files.
To show hidden and protected files

Do one of the following:

If you are running Windows XP, click Start, and then click My Computer. Click the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.

If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then click Computer. Click Organize , click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.

Click Show hidden files and folders, and then clear the Hide protected operating system files check box.

If you are running Windows XP Media Center Edition or Windows Media Center for Windows Vista, stop Media Center Receiver Service (ehrecvr).
To stop the ehrecvr service

Do one of the following:

If you are running Windows XP, click Start, click Run, and then type cmd in the Open box.

If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then type cmd in the Search box.

At the command prompt, type the following:

net stop ehrecvr

Open the Windows Media DRM folder.

In Windows XP, the DRM folder is typically located at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM. In Windows Vista, the DRM folder is typically located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DRM. If you cannot locate the DRM folder on your computer, perform the following procedure.
To find the location of the DRM folder

Warning Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. At the very least, you should back up any valued data on the computer before making changes to the registry. For information about backing up and restoring the registry, see Windows Help and Support.

Do one of the following:

If you are running Windows XP, click Start, click Run, and then type regedit in the Open box.

If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then type regedit in the Search box.

Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DRM key.

In the pane on the right, double-click DataPath.

In the Edit Binary Value dialog box, look at the column on the right to find the location of the DRM folder.

Select all of the files in the DRM folder, and then press DELETE.

Restart your computer.

Resetting the Windows Media DRM system will not allow you to use your existing protected content, but it will allow to use protected content that you download in the future. To use your existing protected content, you will need to download new, valid media usage rights from your content provider. Consult your content provider for more information."
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.