Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WMI idle message on shutdown

by Skwint / July 17, 2008 12:53 PM PDT

I started to get a box telling me WMI idle, program is shutting down, then program is not responding every time I try to shut down windows after I reinstalled XP. I then have to manually close it.

I am running XP sp3, my system is a Pentium D 3Gig, with 3 Gig of RAM, 160 and 250Gig SATA drives plus a 120 IDE drive (for backing up) and a Geforce 8400 GS graphics card.

This doesn't seem to be a major problem, but is a pain in the rear.

Any help is welcome.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WMI idle message on shutdown
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WMI idle message on shutdown
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There seems to be
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 8:08 PM PDT

a number of possibilities here, and I think you are going to have to research it yourself and eliminate possible problems one by one, using Google to search.

For example, Googling WMI Idle lists some possibilities, one of which is a problem with Nero Scout. If you have that installed on your system, then that would be a good place to start;

That same article mentions Microsoft Communicator, something I have not heard of before.

Googling just WMI lists this Microsoft article, and that tells you what WMI is and does, but whether it will help or not I am not sure. (Note, it seems to be for Windows 2000);

On my own system, (XP Pro SP3), looking at the Services console I see that WMI, Windows Management Instrumentation depends on RPC, (Remote Call Procedure), and has 'dependants' of the Windows Security Center and the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing. My own service is set to automatic.

That could be significant on your system. Are there any problems with your Security Center, (Control Panel > Security Center), or is the system sharing an internet connection with another computer?

There again, my Services Console shows a further WMI, called Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions. Here the service on my system is set to manual. But in my own brief research I see both these WMI services are for Windows 2000, and little is said about Windows XP. I am not sure why that is.

As you can see, this seems to be a complex area. I think you should also check your Event Log, (Start > Run > eventvwr.msc), and see what errors are listed under System and Applications.

Good luck. Happy

Hopefully others here will have better ideas.

Collapse -
Problem Solved
by Skwint / July 18, 2008 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: There seems to be

Thanks for the info Mark, it was Nero Scout causing the problem, and the link you provided gave me all the help I needed.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem Solved

That's good news, and thanks for reporting back.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?