Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

WMA Pro

by kishoor / November 19, 2006 11:49 PM PST

How can I know if an MP3 player supports WMA Pro? Does support of any of WMA's DRMs (WMA DRM, WMA DRM 10, or Janus) mean anything?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WMA Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WMA Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: WMA Pro

I leave all my stuff in unprotected, no-DRM MP3 and never have any issues of it playing on my PDA or MP3 player. Why would I need this WMA pro or any DRM?

Bob

Collapse -
WMA Pro doesn't mean DRM...
by kishoor / November 20, 2006 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: Just sharing.

It's a format with better compression than both normal WMAs and MP3. The reason I asked about the DRM is that I think that WMA DRM 10 is WMA Pro with some sort of DRM, so that devices that support that sort of DRM will also support WMA Pro.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Audio
"The WMA 10 Pro codec is based on a completely different technology which is not only superior to ordinary WMA in terms of quality and features, but also scales really well at low bitrates. However, the WMA Pro standard is often confused with the original WMA and thus is less popular.", and so on.
I want to buy the YP-T9, but 4 gigs might be too little for me, and certainly will be if I can't use the best compression... the specs say it support WMA DRM 10, but nowhere do they specifically say it supports WMA Pro.

Collapse -
Oh, that compression black hold discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2006 12:59 AM PST

I've seen those discussions before. The combatants blather on about OGG, WMA Pro, AAC and more. Since many are proprietary or have DRM I'll pass. I'll keep DRM out of the picture and enjoy playing content on my PDA and any device I feel like it.

I prefer the no-shackles feeling.

As we can see, even Microsoft abandoned Playsforsure on Zune. Many articles why so I won't write about that further.

Bob

Collapse -
My two cents (or less)
by Mathemusician / November 20, 2006 7:48 AM PST

I also use max-bitrate mp3 formats and thus have no trouble with the format issues for different mp3 players, but I too have heard of WMA pro and tried to use it on my Zen Touch (needless to say, it was too old to support it). I've searched it a lot, but have found nothing credible. BTW, in case you're using Wikipedia as a large basis for using WMA pro, don't, it's been known to be rather unreliable (darn cybersharks).

Collapse -
I've watched others caught in what looks like a vortex
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2006 10:12 AM PST
In reply to: My two cents (or less)

Swirling down a drain as they expend their time seeking higher compression rates, discovering what doesn't work as well as being locked in the jaws of DRM.

Just by observing others I've become more convinced that DRM free MP3 content is for me.

Bob

Collapse -
God
by kishoor / November 20, 2006 5:00 PM PST

It was a simple (very) technical question. You don't have to get so melodramatic...

Collapse -
DRM or not, but I thought...
by ahtoi / November 21, 2006 4:23 PM PST
In reply to: God

the main part of wma pro is it does 5.1 surround sound.

Collapse -
Now you're getting somewhere. 5.1
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2006 9:13 PM PST
Collapse -
You don't by any chance mean 2.0, do you?
by kishoor / November 22, 2006 1:42 AM PST

Because last time I checked MP3 players don't use sub woofers.
And as you yourself said, 99.9% of MP3 players don't use surround, so I seriously do not care when it was introduced to MP3.
And about the surround - I checked and ahtoi was mostly right, although it is better encoding then regular WMAs for stereo as well. Thanks (ahtoi) for answering.

Collapse -
Not all WMA is "locked in the jaws of DRM"
by ktreb / November 21, 2006 2:56 PM PST

And don't the MP3 patent holders control the licensing of the technology?

Collapse -
I meant the mp3 technology
by ktreb / November 21, 2006 3:25 PM PST

Just like Microsoft does with WMA

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.