General discussion

WLM can't access internet

just trying out new Win7 home premium.

migrated programs from XP.

Windows Live Mail works perfectly, has all my emails etcetera, EXCEPT

I get 'cannot send or receive messages', with an 0x800CCC0E code.

googling says I need an upgrade to build 8489, so I download 'wlsetup-web.exe', and run it.
I get a 'welcome to windows live preparing installer' window, then "couldn't set up the installer check you are connected to the internet" with a 0c8104000b code.

now I am obviously connected to the internet, since I just did a download!

so why doesn't Windows Live THINK it can't get the iternet ?

would appreciate some help,

Vern

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: WLM can't access internet
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: WLM can't access internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Tell us about your security software...

In short, 0x800CCC0E refers to the inability to connect to your email server while the other seems to refer to the inability to connect to the download server. Since your internet connection is working, the most likely cause is a firewall or other security software blocking the communication; check your security settings, adding an exception for Windows Live Mail and the installer if necessary, and try again.

Hope this help,
John

- Collapse -
windows live mail is DEAD

thanks for the reply John; I'm using the Windows firewall at present, and Microsoft Security Essentials.

the firewall has allowances for wlm, and it makes no difference.

also other programs trying to update, or activate by internet, cannot get access.

I've googled this to death, and am totally bamboozled.

hope someone has a good idea!

Vern

CNET Forums

Forum Info