HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

WLAN connection but no internet...

by mandarin99 / February 23, 2004 10:27 PM PST

Hi.
I've got a problem with the configuration of my Wireless-LAN connection. The PC with PCI WLAN card works fine (internet, networking). But I just installed an Asus 103-b PCMCIA card in my notebook. With MAC adress filtering and WEP (128 Bits) there is no internet connection, even though the laptop is connected to the router (at a very good speed: 11Mb/s). Without MAC filtering, with WEP, the internet sometimes works. But it disconnects, reconnects to "another" network and it doesn't work anymore. Same with no security at all.

All Pc's have XP Pro SP 1

Thanks a lot people, Claus

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WLAN connection but no internet...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WLAN connection but no internet...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:WLAN connection but no internet...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 10:43 PM PST

"But it disconnects, reconnects to "another" network and it doesn't work anymore."

Did you try another RF channel? Try 1, 6 and that last one.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:WLAN connection but no internet...
by mandarin99 / February 27, 2004 4:42 AM PST

Thanks Bob.

Actually, after I installed the latest driver for the Asus Card, it worked fine. Maybe a conflict between the 802.11g router and the 802.11b pcmcia card.

Thanks anyway, Claus

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:WLAN connection but no internet...
by Kees Bakker / February 27, 2004 5:22 AM PST

Better tell that kind of details immediately. 11g should be compatible with 11b, but that's 'should' and apparently not with older versions of drivers. Very well possible that Bob or others would have told you so immediately.

The 'details' people leave out of their problems are amazing. System doesn't boot, or no connection to Internet, of not able to browse, or unexpected error in Explorer, and things like that, and then after 10 posts or so they casually remark they reformatted a few days ago or installed dsl or removed spyware (but don't know which exactly and how) or installed KaZaa or whatever you shouldn't do or do carefully and well informed.
Your omission is minor, compared with that, but - with hindsight - it was clearly relevant information.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.